Traditionally title pages of papers were not numbered--just as you wouldn't
number the title page of a book.  But the style is changing, I think.  One
reason is that computers rule, and a lot of users wouldn't know how to tell
their wordprocessors to number as page one what the software counts as the
2nd page of of the document.  In short, there are two ways of looking at
this: one makes sense to the human mind which is capable of perceiving the
title page as not a real page; the other makes sense to the software, which
has not been programmed for such subtlety.

Boo, hiss!