I'm concerned at the assumption that we need to teach students
"the right way" or even the "generally accepted" way (which I
don't believe actually exists). It seems to me we need to teach
them how to figure out what's accepted in the community they're
writing in at the moment (and why it matters that they should be
able to do that, and do it).

-- Russ

> Hi Sandy.  In the EAP courses at the Faculty of Extension at the U of
> A, we have always relied on the "Ready Reference Handbook" (2005) by
> Dodds & Jewinski. In the sample document provided for APA style (p.
> 411), page one is the title page.  On the other hand, on page 392, the
> MLA style document indicates that page 1 is the beginning of the
> actual content (not the title page and table of contents which is
> numbered with roman numerals).  Hope this helps. Gloria Michalchuk
>

> Quoting Sandy Dorley <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > We have found a discrepancy in the information we are giving students at
> > my college.  We have been telling them to number their documents,
> > beginning on the SECOND page of text.  That means that there are no
> > numbers on either the first page or on the title page.  We teach them
> > APA documentation format.
> >
> > However, we have discovered that according to strict APA, numbering
> > starts with the title page and continues thereon.  The MLA style manual,
> > however, says that page numbering should begin with the first page, but
> > can be changed according to "teacher preference."  For some reason, we
> > have all been told, in our own education, NOT to number the title or
> > first page of the papers we turned in.
> >
> > What is the accepted style?  These students are in business classes and
> > in technology classes.  I realize that we have probably gotten two
> > styles mixed up, but we want them to do what is generally accepted.
> >
> > Professor Sandy Dorley
> > School of Liberal Studies
> > Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
> > 519-748-5220 x3819
> >

> > Professor Sandy Dorley
> > School of Liberal Studies
> > Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
> > 519-748-5220 x3819

> >     its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
> >               http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/

>     its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>               http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/

St. Thomas University
http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/