We have found a discrepancy in the information we are giving students at
my college.  We have been telling them to number their documents,
beginning on the SECOND page of text.  That means that there are no
numbers on either the first page or on the title page.  We teach them
APA documentation format.

However, we have discovered that according to strict APA, numbering
starts with the title page and continues thereon.  The MLA style manual,
however, says that page numbering should begin with the first page, but
can be changed according to "teacher preference."  For some reason, we
have all been told, in our own education, NOT to number the title or
first page of the papers we turned in.

What is the accepted style?  These students are in business classes and
in technology classes.  I realize that we have probably gotten two
styles mixed up, but we want them to do what is generally accepted.

Professor Sandy Dorley
School of Liberal Studies
Conestoga College, Kitchener, ON
519-748-5220 x3819