 From the Encyclopaedia Britannica, I learn that Frederick Chapman
Roberts, Thomas H. Weller, and John Franklin Enders did some key work
in the development of the polio vaccine, for which they received the
Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1954.  They used human
embryonic skin and muscle cells.

See: http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9063856/Frederick-Chapman-Robbins

...but it appears that the actual vaccine was made using monkey kidney cells.

So I guess it is fair to conclude that it was work with embryonic
cells that led to the development of the polio vaccine, even if
embryonic cells are not used in the process of manufacturing the
vaccine today.  And if I understand Bush's rules, that research can
not be done with U.S. Government funding today.

The trick was to keep the viruses alive by keeping then in a living
medium - so no, Maryse, they could not use dead cells.

Art