So excited' about Obama

Terry Bibo

NEWS COLUMNIST

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

A lot of Peorians may find this offer irresistible today.

"Would you like to meet Barack Obama?" Chillicothe's Joan Snyder asks me.

No and yes. Journalists meet all kinds of politicians. The thrill is
pretty much gone. It's just work.

On the other hand, Illinois' freshman senator has approached rock star
status. Theoretically, he's so hot that he's got to run for president in
2008. No one can stay at this level until 2012. Just last week, a
Chicago Tribune columnist fretted that Obama might be over-hyped. Even
last spring, "The Daily Show" host Jon Stewart asked if he feared being
over-exposed.

"Well, Jon," the relaxed-looking senator said thoughtfully, "the only
person more over-exposed than me . . . is you."

Ba-da-bing. Whether it's comedy or politics, timing is everything.

Four of five years ago, after Snyder met then-state Rep. Obama at a
fundraiser for U.S. Rep. Lane Evans, she predicted Illinois would
produce America's first black president. Thirty years ago, Snyder would
have spent weekends scheming to get backstage with some scruffy rock
band. Now polo-shirt-clad political roadies hold front-row seats.

Like Evans, Snyder has Parkinson's disease. That bond led her to
campaign for him, and now for Evans' longtime aide Phil Hare, who is
running in Evans' stead. The 17th District race between Hare and
Republican Andrea Zinga has been declared one of the most important in
the nation, so Obama was called upon to lend a charisma transfusion last
weekend. As Snyder cannily suspected, I am intrigued. So we stuff her
collapsible wheelchair in the tiny trunk of the red convertible and take
off for Moline.

"I am so excited," she says.

As it turns out, she's not alone. We get there at noon. Hare and Obama
don't come to the podium until 1:30. With a crowd of 100 or more,
nobody's complaining, even when a CD that has to be titled something
like "Politics Rocks NOW-27!" enters its third or fourth round. Our
front-row seats were reserved, but the dapper older gentleman sitting
alone next to us apparently flagged his when the doors opened at 11:30 a.m.

"Are you an Obama fan?" Snyder asks the man, who identified himself only
as Stanley.

"I don't know," he says. "That's what I came to find out."

Me, too. I had purposely worn my most journalistic outfit - a safari
shirt and photographer's vest - to keep from being accidentally blinded
by the rising of a new political star.

As it turned out, that is not a worry. The surprise is that Hare appears
note-free and charmingly self-deprecating while introducing the guy he
knew everyone came to see. But Obama himself looks exactly like he does
on television - slender, bookish, razor-sharp - blessed with the best
camera-ready teeth since Farrah Fawcett joined "Charlie's Angels" 30
years ago.

Other politicians can riff on a crying baby in the back of the room.
Obama deftly turns that into a plank in Hare's Democratic platform:
education for the future. The 17th includes Western Illinois University,
and college aid for stuff like student loans has been cut.

"The politics in Washington doesn't match up with our needs," Obama
says. "It doesn't match up with our values. It doesn't match up with our
ideals."

The crowd surges forward, brandishing picture-taking cell phones like
lighters. I don't actually meet Obama. He's smooching Snyder. Such
irresistible good instincts may bring the spotlight to Illinois

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/16
www.calipso-pd.org