Please see "Fight of his Life"  - an article about Steve Kaufman, one
of the Amgen GDNF trial participants at
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/lifestyles/83145,4_5_JO0
5_PARKINSONS_S1.article

The Kaufmans have been trying to convince Amgen to provide
compassionate use of GDNF for the trial participants and to restart
the clinical trials. As the article states,
"Although GDNF drastically improved Steve's quality of life, the
Kaufmans say they no longer are fighting just for themselves. They
now fight for every person stricken with Parkinson's, a degenerative
disorder of the central nervous system that affects the control of
muscles.

"The drug's effective," Maggie said. "We know it's effective.
Everyone that sees Steve knows it's effective."

I met Steve and his wife Maggie at the World Parkinson's Congress in
February 2006, and I honestly could not tell that he has PD. And this
was about 1 1/2 years after the treatment had been halted.

For more on the GDNF see:
www.pdpipeline.org
and www.grassrootsconnection.com

Linda Herman