Thomson lends perspective to stem cell expectations
UW-Madison researcher says stem cell benefits will take time
Joe Vanden Plas . Published 10/07/06
Madison, Wis. - When scientists look back at this early period in human
embryonic stem cell discovery, they might regret the hype surrounding this
controversial research, but they won't be able to accuse the man who derived
stem cells from embryos of contributing to it.
Outlining some of the remaining challenges for stem cell researchers,
University of Wisconsin-Madison professor James Thomson took the opportunity
to inject some realism into the stem cell expectations game before
UW-educated executives at a CEO Summit convened by John Morgridge, chairman
and former CEO of Cisco Systems.
The hype is coming from a variety of sources, and is creating expectations
of near-term cures or treatments for debilitating diseases such as
Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. While Thomson remains enthusiastic about the
potential of stem cell research, he cautioned that its benefits will take
time to realize, and he said that perhaps the biggest bang will come in ways
that don't make the front pages of newspapers.
Noting that in retrospect, expectations for gene therapy have been
oversold -breakthroughs have taken longer than many predicted - Thomson
suggested that the same could be said of human embryonic stem cell research.
One of the promising areas of the research lies in the possibility of stem
cell based transplantation therapy, but several obstacles remain. Perhaps
the most daunting is preventing the process that originally kills cells,
which he said could take years if not decades.
"I don't want to sound pessimistic," Thomson said. "This is all doable. It's
just not going to happen overnight."
Dynamic research
Thomson serves as the scientific director for the UW's WiCell Research
Institute, and co-founder of the drug-screening company Cellular Dynamics
International along with fellow UW-Madison researchers Craig January and
Timothy Kamp.
The company plans to introduce a test for drug candidates for heart
toxicity, and hopes to do limited cardiac toxic testing in human cardio
myocytes - beating heart cells - in the first quarter of next year.
"It's Craig January's prior work," Thomson said. "Craig offers the gold
standard for this particular cardiac test, and he's well respected
throughout the drug industry, and it gives us immediate access to the market
we're going to need for human embryonic stem cell testing."
Thomson believes the public debate on stem cells has shifted in favor of
human embryonic stem cell research. Asked about the prospects of the
mid-term elections producing a veto-proof majority for House Resolution 810,
a bill that would make available new federal funding for stem cell research,
he took a wait-and-see approach.
"I can't say," he said. "I'll just wait until November and see what happens.
I would say that clearly this work caused a fair amount of social
controversy. It was well examined by a lot of different people, and it's
broadly supported by the American public now.
"Politicians in Washington realize that, and whether it's this January or
three years from now, the legislation will change."
One of the elected representatives who consistently has opposed H.R. 810 is
Congressman Mark Green, who is challenging Doyle, a supporter of embryonic
stem cell research, in the 2006 gubernatorial race. Asked what concerns him
most about Green, who has called for $25 million in state support for stem
cell research that does not result in the destruction of embryos, Thomson
deflected the question.
"I so much try to stay out of local politics, but it's hard to do because
the current governor has been very supportive of us," he said. "All I would
say is, as much as this is important to people, it's worthwhile looking at
the track records of both individuals and voting accordingly."
Thomson also said he doesn't worry that a challenge to the Wisconsin Alumni
Research Foundation's stem cell patents will result in their being
overturned or altered. That, he suggested, is WARF's concern. "So Carl
[Gulbrandsen, WARF's managing director], his job is to get ulcers over
that," Thomson said. "My job is to do good science."

.