Mackenzie, thank you for your questions.  I'll try to answer them the best
way I can.

> question regarding the Time magazine quote - when you
> say you are no longer on the fence, do you mean that
> you have finally come down on the side of opposing
> federal funding for ESCR or opposing ESCR full stop?

If TIME's statement is true and embryos will have to be developed for the
exclusive reason of stem cell research than, yes, I am opposed.  In my mind,
this would be immoral.
----------
 considering that you consider the destruction of
> embryos to be wrong, i am guessing that you have come
> down on the side of opposing ESCR full stop.
--------------
I have too many issues that deserve my attention which involved real life
issues right now.  I will not actively opposed stem cell research.
----------
 because as long as IVF is undertaken,
> embryos will continue to be destroyed, whether they
> are donated to research first or not - not only will
> they continue to be destroyed, but the destruction
> will occur, much of the time, because that is what the
> people who produced them want.
-----------
I'm going to continue to answer your post because I want my position to be
clear.  IVF is the individual choice of people who want to be parents and,
therefore presumably, consider the embryos that have been developed to be
precious to them.  They are in control of the destiny of these embryos (just
like a DPOA must make end of life decisions for their charges) so it is up
to them to determine their fate.  That is simply none of my business (or
anyone elses for that matter).

That was the reason I was previously on the fence about this issue.  I see
nothing wrong with using embryos for scientific research instead of
discarding them.
> and then, regarding the Time quote - what if a great
> deal of progress could be made on existing embryos,
> and what if, between now and the time there was a need
> for new embryos, someone came up with a way to derive
> ESCs without destroying the embryo?
I actually think that will happen.  However, we must examine all aspects of
stem cell research instead of charging head on into an unknown realm of
ethics.