From: "Joan Snyder" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: cells vs. personhood

i went into visit my neuro several weeks ago. little did i realize that
i was walking into an ambush. the nurse there has always been kind,
patient and particularly interested in my doings for pd, which now
includes working politcally to get stem cell legislation passed. i
thought that she was on my side with all of her talk of support and
enthusiasm about what i do. anyway, when i mentioned to this nurse about
me addressing the democratic unity dinner to speak for phil hare and
about the travisty george bush leveled against us all by vetoing
expanded stem cell research, she offered the name of a doctor whom i
should contact in preparing my speech. she said that this man had
studied this issue for over 10 yrs and was the leading expert in this
field. i gratefully took down his name & number & called the next day.
as soon as i told this doctor my name, he began this relentless tirade
about how wrong my position is and how contrary to the Catholic faith my
beliefs are. as he started in, i began to argue back but it soon became
apparant to me that this man was dead set in his beliefs and no amout of
rational discussion would deter him from his stand. and his stand was
the only one that was right and moral and just. i was to branded a
sinner and that was that.
he did use one particular anology several times, tho. and this really
stuck in my head. he said: "a car is still a car wether it is parked in
the garage or not." this seemed to me to be the dumbest statement one
could possibly make. he used it to imply that an embryo is a person
whether it is parked in the womb or not." i tried very hard to get a
word in edgewise but to no avial, so i politely thanked him and hung up
on him in mid-sentance.
afterwards, i began to think about his statement about the car and
wondered how such an educated man could use such a stupid phrase. was he
trying to tell me that if a wheel, a tranmission and a gas tank were in
the garage that this would qualify as a "car?" i don't believe that this
man would listen to reason if he was spoon fed it. a sad but true lesson
to be learned from this; don't ever assume that because a person is
supportive about your work, look out for those hidden ambushes!

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   54/16
www.calipso-pd.org