Parkinson's  Gene Therapy Seems to Work
Patient: 'If You Didn't Know I Had Parkinson's Disease, You Couldn't Tell'
By Daniel DeNoon
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Tuesday, October 17, 2006
 Parkinson's Gene Boosts Risk 50%
Oct. 17, 2006 -- It's been three years since Nathan Klein was the first
person to get an experimental gene therapy for Parkinson's disease infused
into his brain.
"Before the operation, I was a quivering mass of flesh," Klein, 58, tells
WebMD. "With my medications, I am like 80% or 90% better. I am at a point
right now where if you didn't know I had Parkinson's disease, you couldn't
tell."
Klein is delighted with the treatment -- even though, as the first patient,
he got a much lower dose than did the next 11 patients to be treated.
Moreover, none of these 12 patients got the full treatment. As a safety
precaution, only one side of their brains was treated.
Yet this half-treatment seems to work as well as deep brain stimulation, the
best new treatment for Parkinson's disease. And it's safe, reports therapy
co-developer Matthew J. During, MD, DSc, of New York-Presbyterian Hospital
and Cornell Weill Medical Center.
"These results are just from treating one side of the brain; eventually we
will treat both," During tells WebMD. "We hope our results will match or
exceed those seen with deep brain stimulation. Even if we just match the
deep brain stimulation efficacy, gene therapy would be simpler: no hardware,
fewer adverse events. And we have data suggesting this protects against
disease progression, so that over time you will see an additional benefit."
During reported the findings in a presentation to the 36th annual meeting of
the Society for Neuroscience, held Oct. 14-18 in Atlanta. During and Kaplitt
are co-founders of Neurologix Inc., the company that is developing the gene
therapy.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3    Next: A Pacemaker for the Brain  Print Friendly Version