I'm sorry Mary, but you misunderstood me; I'm all in favour of religion - it
brings so many benefits and is  part of the bedrock of civilisation.  It's the
tendency of people to use religion as an excuse (not a reason) to make other
people miserable that worries me.
also, saying 'it's God's will'  can be a synonym for 'I'm too scared / lazy /
unable to think for myself'.

Surely any entity powerful enough to be a / the God (Allah,etc), would want
created entities to use their full potentail.

Me, I'm inclined to believe in  God, 'cos to believe all this exists by
accident is too difficult - that doesn't mean he/she/it is getting blind obedience
out me... on the contrary I'm planning to respond with a punch on the nose if
possible !
Amanda (still not hit by lightning bolts)