Newbies and old-timers, meet Meg Duggan.  You have no doubt heard from her in a few posts, but I'm blown away by all she is doing and has done for the cause.

As the Executive Director of the Parkinson Foundation of the Heartland "you name it, we'll do it" is her battle cry and believe me she has done it.

Meg came to the organization six years ago as its first and only employee. Her sister was diagnosed with Parkinson's five years before that  at age 38 and has fought heroically for 11 years working and raising her daughters.  She remarried a year ago and just took 200 sixteen-year olds to Ireland for two weeks.

Six  years ago the PFH had  a budget of $75,000.  Today it is $675,000.  From just answering the phone, sending out NPF books, PFH is now in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas with over 100 support and exercise groups and  twice weekly wellness classes and many programs across all three states all the time.

Meg claims the most important thing they do is their Parkinson Care Series, which consists of eight videos or DVDs with Continuing Education Credits for 15 job categories which train staff at hospitals, elder care facilities, etc.  This helps PWP who need care and also enables local groups to connect with potential sponsors in their areas.   They have 500 facilities currently using their programs and are doing a massive (50,000 pieces) direct mail campaign.

They have prestigious board members like Drew Dimmel, local KC celebrity, CEOs of KC Power and Light, Ernst and Young, Blue Shield, H&R Block, KC premier law firms, and  University of Kansas Medical Center, etc., etc.

They make a lot of noise in town with a bunch of fundraisers.   Their main kick-off party gets about 700 well-heeled supporters and their final event this year was an art show  with 40,000 attendees.

PFH can never ever endorse candidates, but nothing can stop them from advocating hard for issues important to PWPs, which currrently would be stem cell research.  As you know, even with the Stowers Institute in town, it is an uphill battle.

Meg has mobilized letter writing campaigns, rented buses and filled hearing rooms.  She recently signed a letter that went to 300,000 Kansas homes.  Her organization is in part responsible for getting the Kansas Coalition for Lifesaving Cures and the Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures on the ballots.

Meg Duggan strongly believes we are here to be "thought leaders" who must deliver a deeper understanding of where hope lies for a cure to the PD community.  Taking  a very public stand has increased memberships by $10,000.  She is more than determined to kick some serious PD ass.

A little kid told her they had a "dumb company name" and suggested it be called the"I HATE PARKINSON'S CLUB".  I agree, but I LOVE MEG DUGGAN FOR ALL SHE HAS DONE FOR US PWPs.

The beat goes on in the Heartland with board member Rick Lucas submitting an  editorial to the Kansas City Star to run shortly before the election.   From our hearts, thank you, Meg.

Ray