From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:50 PM
Subject: Pharma Has Contributed Millions to Republican Congressional
Campaigns in Close Races

FROM :Kaisernetwork.org
Pharmaceutical Industry Has Contributed Millions of Dollars to
Republican Congressional Campaigns in Close Races
Date : Wed, Oct 25, 2006 12:19 PM

  "The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday examined how pharmaceutical
companies are "pouring millions of dollars" into congressional
campaigns in close races, "giving some Republicans a financial edge."

According to the Journal, "with a Democratic victory increasing
likely, few recent elections have been so critical" for
pharmaceutical companies, in large part because Democrats have
promised to revise the Medicare prescription drug benefit to "take
away most of the advantages it handed to pharmaceutical companies."
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has said that
Democrats, in the event that they take control of the House, within
the first 100 hours will seek to revise the Medicare prescription
drug benefit to allow the federal government to negotiate directly
with pharmaceutical companies for discounts on medications. In
addition, Democrats have proposed "lifting a ban on the broad-scale
reimporting of inexpensive drugs," and they might seek to "toughen
the drug-approval process," the Journal reports.

Democrats also have discussed "holding hearings into conflicts of
interest among Republican now working" for the pharmaceutical
industry, according to the Journal. In response, pharmaceutical
companies have contributed millions of dollars to Republicans in
close congressional races and to those who have supported favorable
policies. As of early September, pharmaceutical industry political
action committees had contributed about $8.7 million to congressional
campaigns, compared with $7 million for all of 2002, according to the
Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan research group.
Republicans have received 69% of the campaign contributions from the
pharmaceutical industry this year.

Pennsylvania Senate Race
In the Pennsylvania Senate race, pharmaceutical company employees and
interest groups have contributed almost $500,000 to incumbent Sen.
Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), whose campaign has received the most in
contributions from the pharmaceutical industry this year, according
to CRP. By contrast, the campaign of state Treasurer Bob Casey (D),
who opposes Santorum, has received $11,850 from the pharmaceutical
industry. According to the Journal, Santorum, who helped draft the
2003 Medicare law, "cites the drug benefit as one of his leading
accomplishments." Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of
America President and former Rep. Billy Tauzin (R-La.) said of
Santorum, "We support folks who agree with us on the issues, and he's
been a strong and good supporter" (McKinnon, Wall Street Journal,
10/25).

And i wonder about the pharma companies doing stem cell research --
are they also contributing to Santorum's campaign?
Linda

kaisernetwork.org -- a free service of the Kaiser Family Foundation --
 provides in-depth coverage of health policy news, debates and
discussions to policymakers, the media and general public.