Adult Stem Cells vs. Embryonic Stem Cells

October 26, 2006
RUSH: One of these many articles about the "flap," as they are calling it,
over the Michael J. Fox ad, is one in which they asked some professor about
my remarks from a communications point of view. It was either in the
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today or the Baltimore Sun. Both of those papers
have done "analysis pieces" here, and of course I'm just being who I am: a
bomb thrower or what have you. It's amazing after all these years. This is a
communications professor, and these guys still don't get what happens here!

All of these experts, all of these learned people, and they still don't
understand why this program is a success and why you're there and how we
connect with each other. They just don't get it -- which is fine. I just
find it amazing. These are supposedly informed and learned people. Anyway,
they asked some professor about my remarks from a communications point of
view. Now, why don't these same stories, why don't she's same journalists
bring on scientists who can attest to the fact that the ad misleads about
embryonic stem cells? Why don't they do that? Why don't they go out and ask
somebody about the substance. You heard Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America
yesterday with Sean Hannity. Well, if he believes it, if Michael J. Fox
believes it, doesn't he have the right to say it?

Yes! Nobody is denying that. But when it's wrong and misleading, it's going
to be called on, particularly in the political arena. Why don't they go out
and get some scientists -- and, by the way, they are all over the place. I
have, ladies and gentlemen, in the stack here, a list. I wish I could show
this to you. I'm going to show it to the on the Dittocam just to get the
effect of it. There's three pages of this. Let me zoom in here as best that
I can. All right, there! Now, on the left side, this is "Benefits of Stem
Cells to Human Patients." As you're looking at it, on the left side there is
just one of three pages of diseases where adult stem cells have shown
progress.

On this side, all the diseases that show progress on embryonic stem cells.
Zip, zero, nada! Not one disease has been impacted by embryonic stem cell
research. Three pages of this, ladies and gentlemen. A total blank slate
here, and these are all the diseases where adult stem cells have proven
beneficial (flipping pages). You can see a blank slate versus the text:
brain cancer, ovarian cancer, skin cancer, testicular cancer, tumors
abdominal organs Lymphoma, lymphoma, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Hodgkin's
lymphoma, acute lymphoblastic leukemia.... That's just some of the cancers
adult stem cells are showing promise. Zip, zero, nada versus three pages of
these things.

In fact, there are a total of 72 diseases, 72 afflictions that have shown
promising results with adult stem cells. Zero for embryonic stem cells. This
is a StemCellResearch.org fact sheet: "Adult Stem Cells v. Embryonic Stem
Cells," effectiveness on various afflictions. Now, my question is: Why
haven't the media brought on scientists who can attest to the fact that the
ad misleads and misrepresents that embryonic stem cell research, as opposed
to other stem cell research areas, not only is not going anywhere, but is
potentially very dangerous as it is creating tumors in animals? Now, why
can't the media find these scientists? Why can't the media find these
scientists to attest to the misrepresentations that are in this ad?

Because they don't want to, ladies and gentlemen, because that's not the
point! The point is not whether the ad is true or not. The point of the ad
is to elect Democrats because the ad also claims that Republicans are not
interested in curing these diseases. That's the point it tries to make: Vote
Democrat: you who suffer might find a cure, might be cured. With Republicans
you have no prayer. Now, I don't care who you are, and I don't care what
your ideology. If you have any kind of a heart, if you have just a shred of
a heartbeat, that ought to repulse you like you can't believe. You ought to
understand how cruel it is to advance the notion that there are cures on the
horizon when there aren't. I know we all need hope, but false hope is just
plain mean -- all for the purposes of electing a Democrat?

END TRANSCRIPT

The Media Won't Report It Right, So Here's the Real Story...
(What Rush Said About Michael J. Fox and the Democrat Ads Aimed at
Misleading Voters About Stem Cell Research and the Record of Republican
Candidates On It)

Read the Background Material...

(Benefits of Stem Cells to Human Patients)
(WS: Michael J. Fox isn't telling the whole truth about stem cells in those
(AT: The Unconscionable Claims of Michael J. Fox - Mary L. Davenport, MD)

*Note: Links to content outside RushLimbaugh.com usually become inactive
over time.