#241 Monday, October 23, 2006 - DISABLED VOTERS TO DECIDE SENATE RACE?
Hi, Folks!
The following is a letter I sent to a Missouri newspaper-- hope they run
it-- oh, and stick around for an astonishingly insensitive remark from Jim
Talent-- and a wonderful statement from Michael J, Fox!

Dear Editor:

Supporters of stem cell research hope Missouri's disabled voters will make
their way to the polls on November 7th. If not, a flood of campaign cash may
decide the nation's closest Senate race.

As conservative columnist Robert Novak noted in a recent column: "Missouri
polls show this race on the razor's edge between Sen. Jim Talent (R) and
state Auditor Claire McCaskill (D). Talent, however, has more than 15 times
as much cash (emphasis added) in his own campaign account for the home
stretch-- $4.2 million to $250,000."*

However, Missouri also has 889,917 voters with a disability**-21.4% of the
voting public. Disabled folks like my paralyzed son Roman tend to vote
Democratic, and overwhelmingly support stem cell research.

If wheelchair drivers turn out in substantial numbers, even a tidal wave of
money won't keep the anti-research Talent in power.

Thank you,

Don C. Reed
Co-founder, Californians for Cures

*Evans-Novak Political Report, October 18, 2006
**American Association of People with Disabilities, U.S. Census 2000.

This from Missourian friend Jeff Eisen's STEM CELL PAGE, followed by the
piece from Michael J. Fox.
During the Missouri senatorial debate in St. Louis last night, KSDK news
director Mike Bush asked the candidates, incumbent Jim Talent and challenger
Claire McCaskill, the following question:
"A year ago, a man I know named Sam Goldstein, was diagnosed with ALS.  On
average, if you're diagnosed with ALS you have 3 to 5 years to live and up
until now there is no treatment, nor cure.  Many scientists believe
embryonic stem cell research means real hope for patients with ALS.  So what's
your message tonight to people like Sam Goldstein and others like him?"
Bush had made it clear his question was more than simply political.  Though
it was about disease and seeking for cures, it was about also his friend
Sam - and Sam's time is very limited.  It had personal relevance.
Senator Talent answered:
"My message to Sam is that my vision for them would be that, we go in a
hospital, somebody goes in a hospital in 10, 15 years from now - they know
both that they're getting the best medical treatment, Mike, and they're
getting it in a way that doesn't violate their conscience."
I was appalled by Talent's insensitivity.  Ten to fifteen years?  Sam doesn't
have that long.  And what makes Talent believe that embryonic stem cell
research violates Sam's conscience?  Nothing.
I happen to know Sam Goldstein and his lovely wife, Jo Ann.  For your
information, Senator, they're both embryonic stem cell research advocates.
Unlike you Mr. Talent, Sam understands that Amendment 2 has everything to do
with the rights of Missourians to accept treatments they want or reject
those they find objectionable, and to do so without interference from
politicians.
Talent went on to make a reference about cloning. "I don't want to live in a
world," he cracked, "where I'm walking down one side of the street and I see
myself coming in the other direction."  Never mind that Amendment 2, opposed
by Talent, would ban precisely that.
So, to Sam and Jo Ann:
On behalf of all of us who know and love you, my apologies to you that our
Missouri senator could be so insensitive - and so wrong.
To Senator Talent:
I wouldn't want to see a second you coming down the street either.  One of
you is quite enough.
And finally, at the risk of being sued for stealing an idea from a show I
love, Keith Olbermann's Countdown, I declare...
Missouri Senator Jim Talent:
the Stem Cell Page's 'Worst Person in the World!'
And a message from Michael J. Fox -
http://claireonline.com/multimedia/ads/MichaelJFox.jsp