Where's Limbaugh's rational stem cell argument?
Mike Pound
CNHI News Service
I hate to be a cynic here, but I think something fishy is going on. Either
Rush Limbaugh is acting or he's not been taking his anti-moron medication
lately.
How else can you explain Limbaugh's take on the Michael J. Fox commercials
in support of stem cell research, created on behalf of Democratic candidates
who support such research? Fox, an actor best known for his role on the NBC
sitcom "Family Ties," was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991.
In the commercials, Fox speaks calmly but he twitches and sways back and
forth uncontrollably. He looks and acts like a guy, well, like a guy with
Parkinson's disease. I should say he looks like a guy with Parkinson's
disease to non-morons.
To morons like Limbaugh, Michael looks like political pawn. A partisan. A
(GASP!) liberal. A faker.
Limbaugh, who apparently is an expert on Parkinson's disease, told his
listeners the other day that Fox is "exaggerating the effects of his
disease." He said Fox's shaking and twitching was "an act."
The thing is, I don't really think Limbaugh believes Fox is faking. I don't
think he truly thinks that the twitching, the shaking and the swaying back
and forth in the commercials is an act. Limbaugh, I think, knows that Fox
has Parkinson's and the symptoms he displays in the commercials are real.
And that makes me mad.
Look, I know the whole stem cell research issue is a complicated matter.
There are passionate, well-intended people who are camped on both sides of
the issue. And I respect those folks. I happen to support stem cell
research. I just figure if there is a chance that through stem cell
research, we can find cures for diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's,
diabetes, and a host of others, we should explore those chances.
But I also know that a lot of people don't share my opinion, and that's
fine. There are people who, for religious or personal feelings, are opposed
to stem cell research, and I respect those folks for their position and I
hope they respect me for mine.
If Limbaugh wants to present a rational and well-reasoned argument against
stem cell research, that would be great.
There was one other thing that Limbaugh said that really ticked me off. He
said that Fox "is allowing his illness to be exploited and in the process is
shilling for a Democratic politician."
No, Limbaugh. Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited because he
believes that stem cell research has the potential to cure him and hundreds
of thousands of other people.
Hey, debate all you want about Fox's position, but don't attack him
personally for his stance. In other words: Don't be a moron.
Mike Pound writes for The Joplin (Mo.) Globe.