Just recently in a class discussion of cliches my students were shocked
to discover the phrase is "nipped in the bud" and not "butt".  Later
that week I received an assignment with the phrase "the whole kitten
caboodle" which truly shows we use cliches without thinking about their
meaning.  Did the student not pause to wonder what a kitten caboodle
might actually refer to? RIP George Orwell.

Tracy Punchard.

Tracy Punchard, PhD
School of UT Arts and Sciences
Selkirk College
301 Frank Beinder Way
Castlegar, BC V1N 3J1
(250) 365 1318

>>> Roger Graves <[log in to unmask]> 11/02/06 11:11am >>>
I have been asked to participate on a radio show tomorrow in a segment

on cliches in honor of National Cliche Day. Does anybody out there have

any old chestnuts they would like to share? Any favourite student
phrasings? I await your responses with baited breath.

Roger Graves

              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/