Betsy is right.
I teach a technical writing class to music students. I interpret that
broadly.  The challenge for them is to write in concrete terms about the
most abstract form of art there is.Remember Zappa: Writing about music
is like dancing about architecture?   We do a lot of exercises on
metaphor and I wish I had some examples of the wonderful ways they
describe their music, their instruments, their goals, etc.  Their
instruments can wolves, giraffes, penguins, chameleons....... They love
the exercises because they experience the thrill of actually coming
close to articulating what they feel but can't express except through
music.

Tracy Punchard

Tracy Punchard, PhD
School of UT Arts and Sciences
Selkirk College
301 Frank Beinder Way
Castlegar, BC V1N 3J1
(250) 365 1318

>>> Betsy Sargent <[log in to unmask]> 11/02/06 01:09pm >>>
Cliches always get a bum rap--anyone remember Ryan Stark's
fascinating piece on the value of cliche in JAC 19.3 (1999)?

How come when Roger asked for cliches, he got so many mixed metaphors
and gaffs from student writing instead? I thought Inkshed was a place
where we focused on the amazing ideas in students' exploratory
writing, instead of on their inevitable mistakes and
misunderstandings.
Betsy

At 01:47 PM 11/2/2006, you wrote:
>I hadn't looked before but there is an internet broadcast if you
>click on the Listen Online link on this page:
>
>http://www.cjbk.com/shows/today
>
>Roger
>
>Geoffrey Cragg wrote:
>
>>Hi Roger,
>>
>>Any chance of getting access to the broadcast? My contribution
>>comes from an old Effective Writing exam: "Water your spark and watch
it grow."
>>Cheers,
>>Geoff
>>
>>Roger Graves wrote:
>>
>>>I have been asked to participate on a radio show tomorrow in a
>>>segment on cliches in honor of National Cliche Day. Does anybody
>>>out there have any old chestnuts they would like to share? Any
>>>favourite student phrasings? I await your responses with baited
breath.

>>>Roger Graves

>>>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>>>              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>>              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>    its newsletter, and the annual conference, go to
>              http://www.stu.ca/inkshed/
>                 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Professor of English