Arguably, as cliche's get mangled, they stop being cliches and get
injected with new life. My favourites along that line:
"He's a few bricks short of a picnic."
"In today's fast paste world ..."
That last one is brilliant social commentary. While it'd be nice if
students avoided cliches, maybe we should ask them to invent new ones
instead and fail the ones who can't. But, that won't be happening any
time soon even though it's a doggy-dog world.

Rob