Ailing Fox seeks stem cell funding

By Jennifer Skalka
Sun Reporter

November 2, 2006, 9:10 PM EST

CHEVY CHASE -- Michael J. Fox sits in a chair in a hotel room, in
constant motion. Legs are crossed and uncrossed. Socks are repeatedly
pulled up underneath trousers. His head moves side to side with
reliable irregularity.

The movements would be arresting if not for the man behind them. He
is focused. So determined to tell what he has to say.

Fox is bringing his Parkinson's disease, and a political message, to
Maryland and other states where control of the U.S. Senate is in the
balance: Virginia, Missouri, Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin.

While politicians debate whether frozen embryos should be adopted,
used for research or discarded, Fox wants to change people's minds.

Federal money for embryonic stem cell research can improve life for
the sick and the disabled, he told a couple of hundred people backing
Democrat Benjamin L. Cardin's bid for U.S. Senate Thursday. Fox said
he will stump for candidates who support such funding and fight like
crazy against those who don't.

"We are who are," Fox, 45, said in a Holiday Inn ballroom with Cardin
by his side. "We have what we have. We want what we want, and we have
a right to seek the representation that will get it for us."

The actor has become one of the most visible figures of the campaign
season by thrusting himself into an emotional debate over emerging
science and its moral implications.

Fox, the former star of the Back to the Future movies and the
situation comedies Family Ties and Spin City, is commanding a bigger
stage these days as an advocate for embryonic stem cell research,
targeting states that could elect senators favorable to science.

Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, the GOP's Senate nominee in Maryland,
opposes embryonic stem cell research. He and Cardin are airing
television ads on the subject. Fox is featured in Cardin's. In
Steele's, his sister, Monica Turner, calls the Fox ad "deceptive,
tasteless" and reveals that she has multiple sclerosis.

During an interview at the hotel before the Cardin event, Fox took
the high road when asked about the Steele ad. He said he had not seen
it in full.

"I don't want to get involved with any conflict with another
patient," Fox said. "It just is what it is. I respect everyone's
point of view. And I respect her right to express it. I really do.
And more power to her. And I'm sure she's thought about it and prayed
about it and done whatever process she has to do to reach the
conclusion she's reached, and I fully respect that."

He had harsher words for a Steele campaign spokesman who, Fox said,
called his ad in extremely poor taste.

"As far as the other goes -- the campaign itself calling my ad in
extremely poor taste -- that leads you to conclusions about attitudes
toward sick people and their symptomatology and their right to be
involved in the process and their franchise to help shape government
policy and the future of health and science in the country," he
said. "That's strange to me. And certainly to millions of Americans."

Fox, whose Parkinson's foundation has raised about $70 million over
the past five years, said he does not care about political labels. He
said he would back, and has supported, members of both parties who
favor embryonic stem cell research.

In Maryland Thursday, with Fox by his side, Cardin promised that if
he is elected Tuesday, he will promote the research, which is opposed
by some conservatives and anti-abortion candidates because it
involves the destruction of a human embryo.

"I am going to be pushing that bill with all the energy I have,"
Cardin said to applause.

On NBC's Meet the Press, Steele said he views the destruction of an
embryo as the taking of a life and that, in keeping with his anti-
abortion views, can't condone it. He suggested adoption for the
400,000 or more embryos in fertility clinics across the country.

Fox said Thursday that adoption could be a fine use for some of the
embryos but that tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of
others would remain. And embryonic stem cells can do something their
adult stem cell counterparts cannot, Fox said, because they're more
flexible.

Adult stem cells, research on which Steele and Bush support,
are "cranky cells," Fox said.

"They already are what they are, they don't want to be anything
else," he said. "When you try to get them to be something else, they
don't like doing it. And when you get them to be something else, they
don't want to stay that way."

Embryonic stem cells, in contrast, can become various cells in the
human body. That is how the healing could start for the paralyzed,
the Alzheimer's patient or the actor turned advocate who is trying to
make Washington stand up and listen.

"To limit it to [adult stem cells] is like saying you can have a seat
belt, but you can't have an air bag," Fox said. "We have the
technology to have air bags. I'd like both. If that's OK."

Then he pauses, a wry smile spreading across his face. "Tasteless
idea," he says.