-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Snyder
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: i just got home

from the quad cities, where last night i had the privilege of attending
the victory celebration for Phil Hare. it was a long tough race as was
apparent by the bleary eyed and "running on empty" look of the group of
campaign workers who sat around sipping beers then amidst an eager
crowd. from the back of the lovely ballroom of the hotel, a lone person
at the door began to clap his hands, slowly, reverently and a wave of
emotion swept thru the room as the applause grew thunderous. slowly
making his way down the aisle that opened before the three men (2
sturdy, husky men on either side of a bent over gentleman, helping that
man to maneuver). the crowd went nuts and amid the tears of his
long-time staffers and friends, Lane Evans made his way to the stage,
where he was seated and treated to the display of love, gratitude, and
respect of at least 300 people. after the applause died down, he was
immediately descended upon by reporters, cameramen, and well wishers.
moments later, the hushed crowd again erupted in applause, cheers &
whistles as the newly elected Congressman from the 17th district, Phil
Hare & his family navigated their way to the podium. this was a
bitter-sweet night for everyone. i had been in the same room 2 yrs. ago,
when a remarkably much more fit and expressive Lane Evans had claimed
victory on the occasion of his 12th election to the office that would
now be occupied by his loyal friend and aide Phil Hare. Lane had
endorsed Phil and helped him in many ways to get him elected. when the
two men embraced, i cried like a baby, for their affection for each
other was apparent it was Phil's party but he was obviously delighted to
share the spot light w/ Lane. then, as Phil started to speak in that
wonderfully unpretentious and considerate voice, with the sincerity of
heart and the generosity of spirit that i believe gave him the victory
over the media-savvy Andrea Zinga, i was suddenly struck by the thought
that, even tho i was upset and saddened by the progression of Lane's PD,
that the torch had been passed and that his compassion and his care for
his constituency was indeed in able hands and that I was present at the
making of history.

--
Joan Blessington Snyder   55/17
www.calipso-pd.org