Hi - I am a Professor of Neuroscience at The John Curtin School of Medical
Research at The Australian National University in Canberra, Australia. I
was diagnosed with PD in my late forties - I am now 57. At first I took
cabergoline, a dopamine D2 agonist. This made little difference to my
symptoms (mostly tremor). I am now on sinemet, which is great. However,
over the past 3-4 years I developed severe psychosis - mostly paranoid
delusions - and was hospitalized a number of times. The psychotic episodes
were frightening for myself and my family. Luckily for me, my wife is a
wonderful person and she managed to hold our family together (we have a
teenage daughter and a teenage son). Tracking back, it appears that the
dopamine agonist was to blame, because shortly after I stopped taking it,
I returned to normal with no psychosis. I hope it stays that way !
I would be interested in other people's experiences with dopamine
agonists. I am hopeful that research into PD will lead to more effective
treatments - it looks promising and I am optimistic.
I am looking forward to interacting with others who have PD.
Cheers,
Bruce