I used inkshedding this fall with my Management students, having them
freewite to a quote and then pass their texts on for others to inkshed on.
They loved it!  They begged me to let them do it again...

Something I have been thinking about as concerns inkshedding and freewriting
is how they look from other cultural perspectives. Recently, one of my
mainland Chinese students did an oral on communication in China. Britton's
"shaping at the point of utterance" was not what he was talking about.
Instead, he said that often we think Asians are too quiet in the classroom.
This, he said, was because in Canada we rush into communication and talk at
a fast clip. In China, apparently, the rhythm is much slower in that
somebody will say a couple of sentences followed by a pause to think. Then
somebody else will say a couple of sentence followed by another pause to
think.

Interestingly he said that in Canada silence is embarrassing, but in China
it is polite and shows that some one is taking your communication seriously.

Our freewriting seems to approximate how we communicate verbally in the
West, thinking on the fly. We are used to our fast repartee, and it does
seem to work, at least most of the time, provided the foot doesn't land in
the mouth too often. But what about the Chinese-are-thinking approach? And
where does inkshedding fit in to all of this?  Bye, Charlotte