Miriam:

A good set of questions, although I don't have many answers.  Here,
though, are my thoughts.

You need to separate the Inkshed community from the practice of
Inkshedding.  Yes, Inkshedding has marked every Inkshed get-together
since day one, and it is indeed symbolic of a mindset that prizes
interactivity and collective text over straightline discourse -- unlike
other conferences in which people often talk about interactive
classrooms by delivering a 20-minute lecture followed by a couple of
ritual "questions" that don't really represent discourse.  But some of
us practice Inkshedding in our classrooms and some don't.  I pride
myself on a very interactive, out-of-the-box classroom, based in part on
a number of ideas I have picked up from colleagues at Inkshed.  But I
seldom actually do Inkshedding in the "pure" sense of the term.  It
simply doesn't work for me.  I do it dutifully at Inkshed conferences
but I sometimes wish we could cut it down and leave more time for verbal
discussion.

Yet I consider myself a dyed-in-the-wool Inkshedder.  I don't go to
every conference, but then I don't go to every CCCC's or any other
conference either.  If I go to the same conference every year I start
hearing the same ideas each time, so I give it a rest.  Yet when I come
back I really feel "home."

Certainly, however, the complexion of the conference is changing.  Many
of us original old farts have retired, and my old-folks' network is
shrinking.  But there are always new faces.  I can't swap
remember-what-happened-at-Inkshed-III stories with them, but I always
pick up new ideas.

The conference has become part old friends and part a way to invite new
people, often graduate students, into the idea that there IS a community
around writing instruction in Canada, however widely spread that
community may be.  And I don't think I've seen the overall numbers at
conferences dwindling, although there may be fewer "cardcarrying"
Inkshedders who send in their $20 every year.  I have no idea why that
might be.

Anyway, my two cents.  I'll send a couple of cents more if things come
to me after I have ruminated.

--

Dr. Doug Brent
Associate Dean (Undergraduate Programs)