I think Doug and Roger have articulated what many of us (note the
implicit assumption of community in that pronoun) feel about the
question Miriam has raised.

One thing strikes me: how very Canadian this is!  Are we a community?
(Are we a nation?)  Are we losing our identity?  What IS our
identity? --etc, etc, etc.  I suppose if we didn't fret over these
things from time to time, being Canadians, that would be a sign that
our community WAS in trouble....

Brock

W. Brock MacDonald
Director, Academic Writing Centre
Woodsworth College, University of Toronto
119 St. George Street
Toronto, ON   M5S-1A9
Phone: (416) 978-0246
Fax: (416) 978-6111