Rayilyn
I read your letter to Dennis Turner posted on the listserv on 12/3/06.  It
concerned the resurfacing of the story of Mr. Turner's experience with the
use of autologous cell implantation (i.e. using one's own cells to correct
Turner's PD).  The example of Turner's experience is why we must be so very
careful not to get too excited about research projects, especially those not
properly designed.  I would like to comment on Turner's story.  IT IS SO
LONG THAT I PLAN TO GIVE IT IN TWO PARTS.

In November, 2002 and December, 2003 ,Grassroots Connection editors (GRC -
an independent website on PD  advocacy)and others interviewed Dr. Levesque
on two occasions concerning Turner's surgery.  At that time Dr. Levesque was
anxious to get the word out about Dennis Turner's "miraculous" recovery from
advanced Parkinson's.  Turner had shown an 80-90% improvement in his
symptoms holding its own 3 years post-op.  That, my friends, even if for but
1 year is something to write home about! (To read the interviews, go to
www.grassrootsconnection.com then click on Dr. Michel Levesque under "Voices
to Inspire."

At the time of the interview there were several red flags that went up.
First of all, this was a study of one person only.  It doesn't take a rocket
scientist to know that the effects of a procedure for one only person is not
a reliable way to measure the success of a treatment.  Those who interviewed
Levesque at the time asked what criteria were needed to participate in the
next trials of this astounding discovery.  His answer raised our brows.
Phase II criteria disqualifies one if prior brain surgery had been done,
because the auologous cells were initially removed from Turner during a DBS
procedure.  Hmmm?  I am wondering how they retrieve one's own brain cells to
culture and implant?

GRC also asked about the DBS - how they could determine if the DBS or the
cell implantation was responsible for Turner's improvement.  Dr. Levesque
told us that Turner was able to function without turning on the stimulator.
He had this to say:
" . . .the initial procedure was only approved to access the tissue from the
individual's brain if we were to perform a DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation)
procedure.  That is how we were able to access and harvest some of his own
brain cells.  His device has now been turned off for the last 2-3 years, and
can obviously be removed now. His medication has also been cut almost by
half.  He was the first candidate to use this therapy using the same
criteria used for transplantation of fetal tissue."  But today he has
returned to Parkinson's symptoms consistent with advancing Parkinson's.
TO BE CONTINUED
Peggy