PART II OF A 2-PART RESPONSE
(Part I posted on or about December 6, 2006)

This is Part II of a response concerning the experimental surgery by Dr.
Michel Levesque on Dennis Turner in which Turner's own cells were implanted
into his brain with an original maintenance of 80-90% improvement over a
3-year period.  His advanced symptoms have now returned.

Now, I would like to give you my point for reiterating this experimental
treatment.  When the testimony before Congressional legislators was made
(July, 2004), Turner was still doing quite well.  Like Dr. Levesque, I would
like to know why.  Yes, Turner's PD symptoms have returned - and I don't
believe we can say they are "worse" due to the implanted cells, because this
procedure did not offer any neuroprotection.  It is possible that his
symptoms improved temporarily because he had the DBS - the studies are
ongoing about how this deep brain stimulation might restart the process of
producing dopamine with possible neuroprotection.

My theory (along with a host of others, including renowned scientists, is
that the "cure" will come in the form of some chemical added to the brain
that no only REPLACES DOPAMINE, and not only STIMULATES RECEPTORS, but it
will MAINTAIN AN ENVIRONMENT CONDUCIVE TO GROWTH AND STABILIZATION OF
NEURONAL ACTIVITY.

If you are not familiar with the GDNF story (glial cell-derived neurotrophic
factor), then you need to be.  Dr. Levesque even alluded to this when
Grassroots Connection (GRC) interviewed him (see
www.grassrootsconnection.com Dr. Michel Levesque "Voices to Inspire.")

In the above interview Dr. Levesque has this to say:
"There could be a neurotrophic factor operating here in the cultured stem
cells that causes cell growth. Additional evidence to support this
possibility, is the fact that the patient did not become improved
immediately; it took 9 months for his symptoms to disappear."
And
" There is some dopamine being produced; but with this first patient, we
have to try to introduce or develop more hypotheses as to why this patient
is doing better, in view of his PET scan—that is not a proof.  I think this
shows that there are other systems involved in Parkinson’s disease that are
not dependent on the dopamine system to maintain a motor balance in the
basal ganglia."

Experimentation with glial-cell derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) showed
observable improvement in many patients.  The GDNF was put into the brain
continuously via pumps placed just under the skin in the abdomen with
catheters running into the brain.  The results were very encouraging in the
Phase I trials.  Within a short time patients who were wheelchair-bound
started to walk again, some returned to work, etc.  However, Phase II trial
results failed to meet expectations and were halted due to "safety issues,"
according to the sponsoring company - Amgen.  But the most incredible proof
that "something" was going on was when a man from Phase I trials died of an
unrelated heart attack.  Autopsy reports showed that his brain had
"sprouted" new fibers on the side treated with GDNF!  Nothing like this has
ever been reported.

There has been question after question as to why this treatment cannot
continue to be provided, especially for those who participated in the
trials.  Researchers are saying that the Phase II trial results were not
accurate due to trial design, type catheters used, etc.  Please, if you do
nothing else to help find a cure, go to wither the GRC site given above, or
see "GDNF" under the Advocacy tab.  Other sites for information will be
noted there.  Thanks!
Peggy