Soldier Killed As Fiancee Gets His Ring

Friday December 8, 2006 3:46 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - A soldier's fiancee received a package in the mail
with an engagement ring - just hours after learning that her love had
been killed in Iraq, his family said.

Sgt. Yevgeniy Ryndych, 24, died Wednesday in Ramadi, the Defense
Department said.

``He had proposed over the phone from Iraq within the past month,''
said the soldier's brother, Ivan Ryndych. ``He bought an engagement
ring over the Internet.''

Ryndych, who was born in Ukraine and immigrated to New York City as a
teenager, was on his second tour of duty in Iraq, his brother said. He
was assigned to the 1st Battalion based at Fort Carson, Colo.

Ivan Ryndych said his brother had gone on to a special-forces unit
after his first tour in Iraq ended last year. But he volunteered to
rejoin his old unit when it headed back to Iraq, his brother said.

``His exact words to me were, 'I don't want to leave them behind,'''
Ivan Ryndych said.