I was diganozed with PD 14 years ago, I'm now 57. One of the things I often wonder about is what are the different types of on and off periods experienced by PD people?. For example if someone  is ON does that mean they would appear and function  normaly 12 out of 16 waking hours during the day, does OFF mean a PD person is paralized in a chair for 12 hours a day.

  For example, yesterday I got out of bed at about 7am, I consider myself OFF, I needed a cane to walk around (very stiff and slow) did some house hold choures, if the phone rang and I was more than 15 feet away there is a good chance I would not be able to answer  the phone with in four rings. At 10 am I began taking my normal drugs for the day. At about 11:30 am they kicked in, meaning I was what I considered (ON) normal and I stayed that  way until 10:30 pm and went to bed. During that time I went to the store, drove my car and went to a fast food place for dinner.

  I was ON 12 of 16 waking hours.

  It was a good day. On a not so good day I may be OFF 8 hours or more.

  Going back to my question, what does a PD patient having PD for 5 years or more consider OFF or ON?