I found out with Diane's help that Hulce, who Coleus touts as a SCR expert
is a former psychology professor.  What follows is some of the stuff he's
said about ASCR.:

PS - notice the dates and his prognostications about research done on mice.
Also, it looks to me like the Catholic-affiliated Field Neurosciences
Institute deals in sports medicine.  This after my asking Coleus for Hulce's
email so I could ask him about his PD research:

"Each year several CMU students work as interns on research projects at the
facility, and FNI executive director Verne Hulce has served on thesis and
dissertation committees.
This project is part of an ongoing relationship and a desire to see the
research center advance to another level," said Hulce.

Before his four-year tenure ended in 1972, Hulce, a former psychology
instructor and Dow Corning scientist, helped establish a laboratory for
physiological psychology, which provided a much-needed facility to train
students interested in the physiological basis of behavior.

Sign of hope
ja.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011217sstemcellsbitn.frm
Published on: 12/17/2001    Last Visited: 12/17/2001

Dr. Verne D. Hulce, executive director of the Field Neurosciences Institute
at 4677 Towne Centre, believes the research eventually may cure cancer,
Parkinson's disease and a host of other maladies.

"In 20 years, medicine is going to be entirely different than it is now,"
Hulce said.

On Aug. 17, the News reported that the Field Neurosciences Institute was
about to begin a $300,000 study involving adult stem cells. The lab is among
a handful in Michigan doing such research.

...Although the national spotlight quickly shifted from stem cell research
to terrorism at the World Trade Center and war in Afghanistan, Hulce has
quietly continued his research at the institute in partnership with a
handful of universities across the country.

While research remains in the early stages, Hulce said he is encouraged by a
study the institute is conducting with Emory University in Atlanta.
Researchers have injected adult stem cells grown in Saginaw Township into
the brains of laboratory mice that suffered head injuries to examine whether
the cells would generate new brain tissue. The research was conducted
primarily at Emory.

During a period of several weeks, the injected mice showed enhanced ability
to navigate a maze and to maintain their balance on a rotating bar.

"I'm very encouraged," Hulce said. "It's much better than we expected. The
animals' memory is improved and their motor performance is improved."

Eventually, such research may reveal ways to inject human brains with stem
cells to restore tissue caused by injuries or Parkinson's, he said. More
than 5.3 million people in the United States suffer some form of brain
injury every year.

...Hulce said the institute also is involved in research with Northwestern
University near Chicago to inject adult stem cells into mice with malignant
tumors. Early results, he said, suggest the cells are helping to eradicate
the cancers.
Hulce said he hopes research involving adult stem cells will enter a human
clinical trial stage in two or three years.

"This is a very exciting time to be in medicine," Hulce said. "We can find
out what's wrong with you and fix it." t

Sign of hope
mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011217sstemcellsbitn.frm