Wilson DeCamp wrote:
> I am Wilson DeCamp, and I live in Leesburg, VA.  I was diagnosed with  PD in
> 2004 at age 68.  At the present time, my symptoms are relatively mild  -
> unilateral tremor - and pretty well controlled by Sinemet 3X daily.  I  pay
> attention to my diet - lots of veggies - and take Coenzyme Q10 and vitamin  C, even
> though neither has been shown to help.
>
> As a note of my personal background, I am a Ph.D. chemist, and recently
> retired from 25 years with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.  Although  I
> never worked on drugs for PD, I consider myself reasonably well informed about  a
> wide variety of issues about pharmaceuticals - especially how they are
> studied  and brought to the market.
>
> Now, having seen a few weeks of postings, I would like to make a few
> requests of subscribers:
>
> 1. When mentioning drugs, please remember that drugs are frequently  marketed
> in different countries under different names.  It's very important  that we
> know where you are located - at least the country.  Moreover, a  drug sold in
> the US may not be approved in Canada or the UK, and vice  versa.
>
> 2. There is always a nonproprietary name for a drug.  It will usually  be
> marked that way on the label, or your pharmacist can help you.  If you  refer to
> your drug by both the trade mark (e.g., Sinemet) and the nonproprietary  name
> (carbidopa-levodopa), it will help all of us understand better how to help
> you.  Also, if you know the nonproprietary name, you pharmacist may be able  to
> tell you if there is a less expensive generic equivalent that you can discuss
> with your physician.
>
> 3. PLEASE, when you are passing along information you have found on the
> Internet or at the library, STATE YOUR SOURCE.  I my years of professional  work,
> I have had many experiences where people have asked me about a new cure  for
> their condition, but could only say that they "heard it from a  friend".  That
> doesn't help to get more information.  And remember  that there are a lot of
> ideas that haven't been proven in clinical  studies.  Circulating information
> about unproven cures may raise your hopes  unreasonably.  But with a source,
> you may be able to find out about who is  investigating the drug, and maybe even
> be able to get accepted into a clinical  trial.
>
> Wilson DeCamp

Welcome  Wilson:
I am interested in your prospective on the following.  Here in the US
our business friendly president  has granted the drug companies
something called "fast track" status on the development and testing of
new drugs.  This allows new drugs
to come to market with far less testing than in the past, and insuring
even greater profits for the drug companies.
We have seen several recalls of these fast tracked drugs only after they
have injured or killed many in the general population.
How can the potential  consumer asses the safety issues and make
informed decision.

My feeling is that before a new drug can be marketed, the producers must
first prove it is better than any thing currently
available.

Ned