Shamus
In 1996 I was still working at a menial part-time job when I quit in the
Fall. I have spent a great deal of my life working "sick" (cancer in
1979-81, just one example) so I packed it in as I had retired from teaching
in 1991.   First few years with PD were tolerable.  Went to Egypt with my
niece with a cane in 1999.  In 2000 I got my dog and could walk  him.

Somewhere between 2000-2003 I got worse.  In the summer of 2003 I had 2 DBS
brain surgeries.  I did this because my tremors went bilateral.  My voice
started getting bad, but am not certain whether it is PD or the DBSs. Since
then I have had periodic botox injections in my left leg to combat dystonia
and uncurl my toes.  My fine  motor skills really started to go about 6
years ago.  Over a year ago I fell several times, but although my balance is
not good, I haven't fallen for a long time.

At home I use a Jazzy 1113 electric wheelchair to get around.  When going
out I take a walker with a seat so I can sit if I need to.  I exercise daily
on the treadmill, have 2 putting greens in my back yard which I visit twice
a day and last as long as I can, maybe 5-10 minutes in winter.  In summer I
walk in my pool and treadmill.  My hands are like paws, I strangle when I
try to speak, walking is very difficult, but other than that things seem to
have stabilized since 2003 and the DBSs.   I had gotten worse in 2001 when
my Mom had a stroke and I tried to help her.  She died between my brain
surgeries.  Although I miss her terribly, the stress is gone.

I took Sinemet for a year before and tried Stalevo after the DBSs.   If meds
helped I would take them, but I can't see why I should take them if they
don't.  Requip and Mirapex never helped.   When I was better I exercized
more.  I do take Inderal (a very old PD tremor treatment)for blood pressure
and Benedryl (another very old PD remedy)at night because I constantly cough
up mucous and choke (would be drooling no doubt if I didn't do this).

One of the very hard things about PD is that we are all so different.
Because of my cancer and other medical experiences, I decide what is best
for me after getting as much info as possible.  The computer has saved my
life. Good luck.
Ray