(Stacey) (Collins) wrote:

>In a message dated 12/22/2006 11:02:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>Hi.  I hope everyone is having a happy holiday.  I peeked at  one of my
>presents early, a package from my insurance company, and found a  lump of coal.
>Effective Jan 1st they are discontinuing the insurance  plan I am on.  However
>they are offering a new plan "to better serve  me".  Reading the tiny, tiny
>fine print I discovered that my annual  maximum out of pocket is going from
>$2,500 per person in the family to a total  of $9,500 for the group with no
>individual allocation.  This of course  means I am going to pay and pay.  Then I
>noticed that the annual maximum  benefit for prescription drugs is going from
>$5,000 down to $3,000.  This  means about August I will be out of benefit for the
>year.  Here is my  problem.  I am 56 years old.....to young for medicare or
>medicaid I  believe.

Does ur wife work outside the home? look into her insurance benefits.
are u a citizen in the US? because I don't understand age what brought u
to the conclusion that mediare was for only the aged.  They are not just
for the over 65 , ect. crowd, nor just for the single moms sterotypes
that people have of medicaid recipients.   When ur medical costs exceed
ur income and u have no assests , then u will qualify for medical help.
That is poor to the govt.

>I am still working (as best as I can) and therefore don't
>qualify for the drug company assistance programs because I have medical
>insurance such as it is.  I don't qualify for welfare as I scrape by each  month.
>I pay a staggering $1,270 per month for insurance !!!  for a  family of
>four....I am a 1099 contract employee so basically self  employed.

1099 <letter> what?
If ur wife is well somewhat, then most likely she is going to end up
controling the finances anyway.  Medicare is given to disabled and the
aged.  Go to medicare.gov  and read about the programs offered for the
near future of 5-10 years.
 My son worked 3 jobs during his junior , senior year of high school and
college. It isn't easy, but it can be done. Med school now. I had to
drop my husband off my insurance that is offered by pension thru the
teachers retirement because the cost of his insurance was 700. just for
him.  I had no choice but to drop him due to the morgage (12 years left)
and the drugs exceeding the retirement check amt. (after taxes).  His
employer offers insurance and he has a phd, licenses, ect. We have no
car or other payments to make.
If u are self employed , then....look into severe financial planning
NOW.  I know it is hard to face, but it is something u have to do.

>from Rite Aid drugstore where I spent over  $650.  And I have a couple more to fill next week.

Call CVS, Walgreens, riteaid and ask for the cost of YOUR individual
prescribed drugs. Pick the cheapest place EVEN if u have co pays of
10-20 dollars. Do u have some benefit that the employer can take out
dollars out if ur check before taxes are paid and use those dollars for
medical costs that are not covered by insurances such as co-pays. Pre
taxed dollars?

unedited