List Members:  this call from the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical
Research is a reminder to us to get ready for our next big battle:

December 21, 2006

Dear CAMR Members:
First, let me wish you and your family a joyful holiday season and a Happy
New Year. Now is the time to look back on the incredible progress that has
been made and ready ourselves for important stem cell work in 2007. We all
will need to roll up our sleeves in January and get right to work because we
have a lot to accomplish in a very short timeframe next year.
In January, the 110th Congress will be sworn into office. The Stem Cell
Research Enhancement Act (what we knew as HR 810 for the past two years)
will be reintroduced by our Congressional champions in January with
identical language and a new bill number.
Getting this bipartisan bill passed and enacted has been identified as a top
priority by the new leadership in both the Senate and the House of
Representatives. A vote on the bill is expected in both chambers in January.
That means we need to reach out to everyone we can as soon as possible.
Now is the time for you to use your local contacts and reach out to your new
Representatives and Senators before they are even sworn in. Before they come
to Washington, DC they need to know that you expect them to vote in favor of
the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. You will need to be creative, as
these new Members might be difficult to locate before January. Perhaps they
will be attending local events in your community or opening up a district
office. Use every resource you can think of to track them down.
You should also use this time to contact returning Representatives and
Senators who may have voted no in the past to convince them now is the time
to vote in favor of federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.
The message for all Members of Congress is this:
"Now is the time to pass and enact meaningful stem cell legislation! The
Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act will be one of the first bills presented
to you for a vote in the 110th Congress and I urge you to vote yes."
You will hear from us as soon as the bill is reintroduced and we will be
asking for a huge push in early January to get the word out on the Stem Cell
Research Enhancement Act before the votes.
Thank you,
Sean Tipton
President