In a message dated 12/29/2006 2:00:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Medics  tend to disapprove of 'natural' remedies - possibly seeing them  as
competition ?

I think that a greater issue is the highly variable quality of herbal
products.  This means that, even when you carefully follow the directions  for
preparation or use, you may get a much stronger (or weaker) dose when you  buy from
a different source.

I worked on a number of marketing applications for herbal drugs at FDA, and
rarely saw controls on quality and strength that came close to what we have
for  synthetic drugs.  The United States Pharmacopeia has been working for some
years to develop scientifically sound public standards that will assure that
herbal products are of consistent strength and quality.  We're still a long
way from success.

Wilson DeCamp
Leesburg, VA