Hybrid embryo ban 'would cost patients' lives'

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent
Last Updated: 12:54am GMT 05/01/2007

Hundreds of thousands of patients with diseases of the nervous system will
miss out on potentially life-saving new treatments if regulators ban
experiments using part-human, part-animal embryos, scientists said
yesterday.
The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) is next week
expected to turn down applications from two teams of British researchers to
transfer human cells into rabbit, cow and goat eggs.
Scientists want to create the hybrid embryos that would be around 99.9 per
cent human and 0.1 per cent animal in order to produce embryonic stem
cells - the body's basic building blocks that can grow into all other types
of cells.
They hope to use stem cells to both understand and provide new treatments
for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, cystic fibrosis, motor
neurone disease and Huntington's.
Until now the process of creating an early embryo by putting human DNA into
an egg that has its nucleus removed - known as therapeutic cloning - has
been carried out using human eggs from consenting IVF patients. However,
these are in short supply and success rates have been low.
Chinese scientists have shown it is possible to harvest stem cells from
embryos created by transferring human cells into rabbit or cow eggs.
The UK-based researchers, led by Dr Stephen Minger at King's College,
London, and Dr Lyle Armstrong at the North East England Stem Cell Institute,
in Newcastle, stress the hybrid embryos would be destroyed by 14 days when
they are no bigger than a pinhead.
Last month the Government published a White Paper that will form the basis
for an overhaul of laws on fertility treatment and embryo research.
It included a proposed ban on the creation of embryos that are part-human,
part-animal, with a provision to allow such research in certain conditions
under licence.
Dr Minger said yesterday: "Informally we have been told [by the HFEA] they
are unlikely to grant permission for our applications.
"At present we have no therapies to even alleviate the symptoms for
conditions such as Alzheimer's, spinal muscular dystrophy and motor neurone
disease, never mind make an impact on disease progression."
Prof Chris Shaw, a neurologist from King's College London, said: "I think
this technique has the potential for very important outcomes for patients.
To shut this research down at the moment would be an affront to those
patients.
The authority board will issue a policy statement that will inform its
decision on the research licence applications at a meeting on Wednesday.
Opponents have described the proposed research as undermining "the whole
distinction between animals and humans".
Josephine Quintavalle, the director of Comment on Reproductive Ethics, said:
"This kind of research makes people feel uncomfortable. There has been a
groundswell of public concern and I think the HFEA has realised that."