Parkinson's Disease Is a Curse and a Blessing by Kate Kelsall
In junior high, the code I used to signify my menstrual period was "my
friend is visiting." I was fortunate enough to escape "the curse," the
terminology of my mother's generation. After 40 years, my period became like
an old friend I didn't really like, but who I got accustomed to having
around. Then, my friend stopped visiting.
I host another visitor. Parkinson's Disease (PD) is an uninvited guest, who
moved in and refused to leave. She hangs around, and has taken up permanent
residence in my body. PD has poor manners, interrupts and makes no
apologies.
I try to befriend PD. While PD is a curse and no friend of mine, people
struggling with PD have become blessings and cherished friends.
Dawn* discovered my blog, "Shake Rattle and Roll: An Insider's View of
Parkinson's Disease" on the Internet just a week ago. Dawn was diagnosed
with PD five months ago at the age of 30. Single with no children, she works
at a high-powered position in a small town in the south. Dawn is just like
me struggling down the PD path, except that I am 27 years older, have had PD
for 10+ years, was diagnosed at the age of 46, am married, have never lived
in a small town in the south, and after too many high-powered jobs in my
day, I am currently on long-term permanent disability because of PD.
It turns out that having no children and living with PD are our only common
connections.
We debate the merits of disclosure vs. concealment. I give her big-sisterly
advice and express my regrets about trying to cover up PD for so long. I
refer Dawn to a favorite article, "In Defense of Denial" by Michael Kinsley
in "Time Magazine" on December 17, 2001. I believe that denial can be
helpful as long as it doesn't interfere with obtaining medical help (e.g.,
going to doctors appointments, taking meds, etc.).
I share with Dawn that when I was diagnosed, I read everything that I could
put my shaky hands on about PD (the Internet wasn't popular then). When I
was overwhelmed with the bad news, I stopped reading and decided to get on
with my life.
I am grateful that Dawn and I found each other on our PD paths. Finding
friends on their parallel PD journeys, has turned PD from being a curse to a
blessing in my life.

*Note: Name has been changed to protect identity.

Technorati Tags: Parkinson's Disease
Posted by Kate Kelsall on January 06, 2007