In a message dated 12/31/2006 2:01:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Cholesterol's Role in Parkinson's Remains Elusive

THURSDAY, Dec.  28 (HealthDay News) -- People with low levels of "bad"
low-density  lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol are more likely to have
Parkinson's disease  than people with high LDL levels, a new study says.

Low levels of LDL  cholesterol are considered be an indicator of good
cardiovascular  health.

Conducted by researchers at the University of North Carolina  (UNC) at
Chapel Hill, the study of 124 Parkinson's disease patients and  112
people without the disease found that people with lower LDL levels  (less
than 114 milligrams per deciliter) had a 3.5-fold higher occurrence  of
Parkinson's than people with higher LDL levels (more than 138  milligrams
per deciliter).

Parkinson's patients were also less  likely to take cholesterol-lowering
drugs than people without the disease,  said the study, which was
published online Dec. 15 in the journal /Movement  Disorders/.

These findings should not prompt people to change their  eating habits or
their use of statins and other cholesterol-lowering drugs  in an attempt
to prevent Parkinson's disease, said study author Dr. Xuemei  Huang,
medical director of the Movement Disorder Clinic at UNC Hospitals  and an
assistant professor of neurology in the UNC School of  Medicine.

Huang cautioned that these are preliminary results from a  small study
and that larger, prospective studies are needed to learn more  about the
association between LDL levels and Parkinson's  disease.

"Parkinson's disease is full of paradoxes. We've known for  years that
smoking reduces the risk of developing Parkinson's. More than 40  studies
have documented that fact. But we don't advise people to smoke  because
of the other more serious health risks," Huang said in a prepared  statement.

Two questions need to be looked at in future  studies.

"One is whether lower cholesterol predates the onset of  Parkinson's.
Number two, what is the role of statins in that? In other  words, does
taking cholesterol-lowering drugs somehow protect against  Parkinson's?
We need to address these questions," Huang said.

*More  information*

We Move has more about Parkinson's disease  <http://www.wemove.org/par/>.

Attribution: -- Robert  Preidt

SOURCE: University of North Carolina School of  Medicine, news release,

Amazing, my husband smoked for years, and still developed PD.  He  probably
began at 12 and ended at 60, even though he was diagnosed at 46.   Figure that
one out.

Gerry and Brig