Hi, Ray.

Re: longest survivor of PD.

My husband, David, has been ill with PD since AT LEAST 1967, and probably
even earlier.  When I met him 42 years ago, he'd already lost his sense of
smell.  2 years later, he became very inflexible (read "rigid") in his
attitudes, outlook, etc.  2 years after that, he exhibited his first
muscular symptom: cogwheeling of his shoulder.  2 years later, his right
side became very rigid, whereby he began dragging his right foot, and lost
the swing of his right arm as he walked.

David wasn't diagnosed with PD until about 15 years ago, but he's been
treated with sinemet et al for the past 35 years.  "Why are you giving him
these particular meds," I asked his original neuro, "when there's no
diagnosis for his condition?"   Answer: "Because that's what works."  When I
asked that same neuro what he thought David might have after rubberstamping
David's prescriptions for 20 years, he answered (This is burned on my
brain.), "Darned if I know.  It's not Parkinson's.  I've treated Parkinson's
for 25 years, and it's definitely not Parkinson's."

This has been a very long, arduous aventure.  David had DBS 4 1/2 years ago,
which is now not helping at all with his balance, but his dyskinesias have
(so far) completely disappeared.  His mental competence varies at times,
he's somewhat confused, his speech is significantly reduced (aided and
abetted by the DBS), his memory isn't great, and he needs a great deal of
help 24/7 due to the balance issues, esp. with daily needs.  But...he's
still truckin' along.  Other than the PD, he's the healthiest "sick person"
I've ever seen.

Bev