Boy, it makes me hopping mad that I have to await the decision of a
dangerous fool like Bush.  He will decide how much I must suffer with his
"signing statements" and executive orders.
Ray
The following article appears in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal.  Note
that the article reports, "the White House confirmed it has been working
on a possible executive order related to stem-cell research".

Tony Mazzaschi
AAMC

New Science on Stem Cells Draws White House Focus
By SARAH LUECK
January 10, 2007; Page A6

WASHINGTON -- With the House preparing to expand federal funding of
embryonic stem-cell research, the Bush administration is trying to
change the terms of the debate by promoting methods of developing stem
cells that don't harm embryos.

Facing likely approval, first in the House and later in the Senate, of
an embryonic stem-cell research expansion, the White House confirmed it
has been working on a possible executive order related to stem-cell
research, though a spokesman wouldn't provide details. Stem-cell
research advocates said the order would endorse federal funding for
research involving nonembryonic stem cells. Though that wouldn't
represent a change in the limits Mr. Bush placed on embryonic stem-cell
research in 2001, it may help the White House respond to criticism of an
expected veto of the embryonic stem-cell bill, which has broad support
in Congress and among the public.

Supporters of embryonic stem-cell research say the bill would lead to
lifesaving cures for illnesses, and they predict easy passage in the
House tomorrow. The bill would permit federal funding of stem-cell
research using embryos developed for fertility purposes but about to be
discarded. People for whom the embryos were created would have to
provide written consent for the donation. The Senate may take up the
legislation as soon as next month.

But Mr. Bush made clear over the summer that he opposes expanding
research funding that he views as encouraging the destruction of human
life. Mr. Bush issued the first veto of his presidency after both the
House and Senate voted to expand embryonic stem-cell research. Mr. Bush
has shown no sign he will waver from the existing policy, which allows
federal funding for supplies of stem cells that had already been taken
from embryos in 2001.

Senate and House backers of stem-cell research have added to their
ranks, partly because of elections in which Democrats picked up seats.
Sen. Tom Harkin (D., Iowa) predicted the Senate has the two-thirds
support that would be needed to override a veto. That isn't likely in
the House, but proponents are promising to "introduce it over and over,"
as Rep. Diana DeGette, a Colorado Democrat sponsoring the bill, said
yesterday.

Mr. Bush's veto could prolong the debate into the presidential campaign
season, causing Republican candidates -- who largely support expanded
funding for stem-cell research -- to find a way to state their position
without inflaming their antiabortion base.

White House spokesman Tony Fratto declined to provide details about the
content and timing of the possible executive order. But he said "we are
clearly working on ways we can direct whatever tools and funding we can"
to explore stem-cell research that doesn't harm embryos.

The White House's Domestic Policy Council is working on a report, to be
released today, that highlights nonembryonic stem-cell progress,
including a study published this week that described cells in the
amniotic fluid of pregnant women as having similar characteristics of
embryonic stem cells.

"We are exploring all the alternative science that maybe will make this
question moot so we as a society do not have to deal with this moral
grudge match," Mr. Fratto said.

Backers of expanded stem-cell research dismissed the strategy as a
distraction. If Mr. Bush issues an executive order promoting other
methods, it won't change policy, said Sean Tipton, president of the
Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, who called it "a
political fig leaf." Backers are frustrated that antiabortion
Republicans, including Mr. Bush, have seized on the study of amniotic
stem cells, which was published this week in the journal Nature
Biotechnology, to bolster claims additional stem-cell research using
embryos isn't needed.

The study "is noteworthy, but it does not represent a major
breakthrough," Mr. Harkin said. Ms. DeGette and Rep. Michael Castle (R.,
Del.), another sponsor of the House bill, released a letter yesterday
from one of the authors of the study on amniotic cells, Anthony Atala,
director of the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Dr.
Atala wrote in his letter that the legislation likely to pass the House
this week would "speed science in the regenerative medicine field" and
that his work on amniotic stem cells is complementary to, not a
substitute for, embryonic stem-cell research.

Meanwhile, the antiabortion Family Research Council said amniotic stem
cells present an alternative that "increases the promise of treatment
without destroying human life." Rep. Phil Gingrey, a Georgia Republican
and antiabortion obstetrician-gynecologist, introduced a bill
authorizing federal funding for stem-cell research that doesn't destroy
embryos. Democrats are unlikely to allow the bill to come up for a vote
in the House.

Write to Sarah Lueck at [log in to unmask]