Letter from Idelle Datlof, Executive Director of SCAN  Message List
January  12, 2007Volume 07, Issue 01-02

 As many of you already know, the House of Representatives voted today on
"The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act" (the same bill that President Bush
vetoed last summer). This bill would reverse the strict limits of the
President's Executive Order of 8/9/01 which restricted funding to a set of
stem cell lines already in existence at the time. This policy has severely
hampered researchers, as most of those stem cell lines are contaminated and
not safe for use.

The Senate vote  has not yet been scheduled. Last year, there were 63 votes
in favor of the stem cell bill in the Senate, and last fall's elections
appeared to add three more pro-cure votes in the Senate, so the bill's
supporters are on the verge of the 67 Senators necessary to override the
President's anticipated veto. .
 The House vote today is a good news/ bad news event. It passed by a
majority, by 253 votes to 174, eighteen votes stronger than last summer's
tally. The bad news: should the bill be vetoed again by the President (which
is all but certain) it is 36 -37 votes short of the two-thirds majority
needed to override the veto.

 You can think about this in two ways: first, that there is only one man
standing in the way of the majority will of the citizens of this country
(yes, the President) or, that there are only 37 minds (out of 174) that we
need to change to have this pass. I think we may have a better chance to
influence 23% of the naysayers, than to affect the President's longstanding
opposition.

 We in SCAN will be analyzing the results and launching a campaign to
communicate to these legislators why thousands of their constituents:
patients, scientists, friends, and families - are asking them to change
their vote. We intend to focus our efforts on those representatives who
would seem to be the most willing to listen to our arguments and consider
changing their positions.  We will of course, be asking you to help: to send
letters, to meet with members of Congress and their staff, to speak at press
conferences and other media events, to write letters-to-the-editors of your
local newspaper, and to enlist friends and family to do the same.
 If we don't do this for ourselves now, who will?
 Thank you,
 Idelle Datlof
Executive Director