no date on this but it was after her testimony before the Massachusetts
State Legislature, she is resident of Connecticut

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0501319.htm
Stem-cell debate has personal ramifications for Catholic family

By Nancy Frazier O'Brien
Catholic News Service

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- After 14 years with Parkinson's, Patricia Payne would
give almost anything to be free of the debilitating tremors that are
characteristic of the disease and the constant pain caused by bone
disintegration around her lower spine.

But as a Catholic and the mother of five, she will not consider any
treatment that would involve the destruction of human embryos.

"I don't want to see cures, even a cure for my terrible disease, to be
obtained by destroying a fellow human being at the earliest and most
vulnerable stage of their existence," Payne recently told a joint committee
of the Massachusetts Legislature in emotional and exhausting testimony.

"To kill one human being for the benefit of another is never morally
justifiable," she added. "To kill the weak in order to benefit the strong is
even more objectionable."

Still feeling the effects the next day of her appearance before the
committee and the more than four-hour round trip to Boston, Payne spoke with
Catholic News Service by telephone from her home in Winsted, Conn. She was
joined by her husband of 40 years, Richard, whom she met when both were
working for separate offices of the Canadian bishops' conference.

Before the hearing, "I was extremely agitated and nervous, and I wanted to
back out," Patricia Payne said. "But my husband reminded me that I was not
alone, and that it's better to be a little nervous than to be without any
nerves."

Payne told Massachusetts' newly created Joint Committee on Economic
Development and Emerging Technologies that she has been selected as one of a
dozen participants in the next phase of Dr. Michel Levesque's adult
stem-cell research and therapy program to treat Parkinson's. The phase 2
clinical trials were to begin in about eight months.

Levesque, a physician and neuroscientist based at Cedars-Sinai Medical
Center in Los Angeles, has developed dopamine-secreting neurons from
patients' own brain tissue and transplanted them safely back to the brain,
greatly reducing the symptoms of Parkinson's.

After the first phase of the trials, in 1999, Parkinson's patient and
retired nuclear scientist Dennis Turner -- who had been unable to use his
right arm because of the extreme shaking caused by the disease -- was
virtually symptom-free for nearly five years and regained sufficient motor
control to indulge his passion for big-game photography on safari in Africa.

"Adult stem cells have treated and cured literally tens of thousands of
people with almost 100 different diseases," Patricia Payne told the
Massachusetts committee. "How many people have been cured of any disease
using embryonic stem cells? The answer is zero. None. Instead, the history
of embryonic stem-cell research is replete with monstrous tumors, tissue
rejections and immune reactions."

One of the biggest misconceptions about stem-cell research is that the
Catholic Church opposes it, said Father Tadeusz Pacholczyk, who studied
neuroscience at Yale University and theology at Gregorian University in
Rome. On the contrary, he said, the church supports three of the four ways
that stem-cell research currently is being conducted:

-- Adult stem-cell research, involving the growth of stem cells from the
patient's own tissue or that of another living donor.

-- Stem cells developed from umbilical cord blood or placentas after a
delivery is completed.

-- Cells from fetal tissue derived from miscarriages (also called
spontaneous abortions), as long as the parents give informed consent.

Only the use of embryonic stem cells, usually harvested from living embryos
five to seven days after their creation in a test tube, is morally
unacceptable, because it involves the killing of a human being, he said.

Father Pacholczyk, a priest of the Diocese of Fall River, Mass., who is
director of education for the National Catholic Bioethics Center in
Philadelphia, spends much of his time on the road, addressing national
conferences, college groups, legislators and church-sponsored gatherings on
the stem-cell issue.

"Just getting the basics out is the biggest challenge," he said. "There are
so many people out there who are trying to make the argument that it's not a
human being if it's created for 'therapeutic cloning.' The issue is being
systematically obfuscated."

The only difference between an embryo created for "reproductive cloning" and
one intended for "therapeutic cloning," the priest added, is that the goal
of the former "is to have a baby, walking and talking," and the intent of
the latter is "to strip mine the embryo at its earliest stage for the
desired cells."

"There's a failure to understand that both kinds of cloning make a human
being by a series of technological steps," he said.

That's the kind of information that the National Catholic Bioethics Center
has been trying to disseminate since its founding in St. Louis in 1972 as
the Pope John XXIII Medical-Moral Research and Education Center.

"We were set up while abortion was still illegal in this country," said John
Haas, president of the center. "No one had ever even heard of HIV/AIDS. No
one had ever even heard of stem cells, much less embryonic stem cells. Back
then it was inconceivable that one could clone a human being or clone a
mammal. So we've been through a lot."

But whether the ethical issue relates to cloning, informed consent for
clinical drug trials or in vitro fertilization, the center's emphasis has
always been on defending the dignity of the human person, Haas said.

"And we count all human beings of equal dignity, from the moment of
conception until natural death, in whatever state they find themselves," he
added. "If you start excluding certain groups, what are the criteria that
you're using to exclude them? Then it becomes absolutely arbitrary."