HR 3 passed the House with 60%
Category: General, Legislation - By: Faye on January 12, 2007 at 9:07 pm
Well, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act ( HR 3) passed the House again!
Previously it passed the House in 2005 ( as HR 810), in an attempt to
provide meaningful federal funding for ESCR, which had been severely limited
in 2001 by Bush imposed arbitrary restrictions.
We needed a super majority of 66% to get to a veto proof passage and we fell
short of that, but I have to say it was pretty exhillarating as I listened
to the passionate Pro-ESCR speeches made on the House floor, and certainly
we've made some progress again.
Most  disappointing however was that despite out best efforts, only 3 NO
votes flipped to YES. (Our gains were mainly due to the mid-term elections
of new House members who were Pro-ESCR replacing those who were not).
Look for blog entries this weekend by Joe Riggs, President of the Student
Society for Stem Cell Research, and Jeff Eisen with their thoughts on
increasing our grassroots impact .
As for me, I'm starting to think it's not religious ideology but rather
political ideology ( plain old partisanship), that's causing republicans to
stick with their ill-advised opposition to ESCR.
By now they all know that recycling trashed cells for life-saving research
is Pro-Life.
So I'm quite disappointed that more republicans didn't want to distance
themselves from Bush and his very unpopular veto.
But as one aide warned me: the congressman had already promised his
colleagues to vote NO, (no matter what his own constituents were saying)
In other words, all arguments were wasted on this and other congressmen,
because "partisanship was more important than progress."
In cases like this, I feel it's best to just attach the bill to another
Must-pass bill, so we can circumvent a veto altogether without needing a 2/3
super majority.