Dennie pins her hopes on China doctors
Provided by: Sun Media
Written by: KEVIN CONNOR, TORONTO SUN
Jan. 5, 2007

Kim Dennie is praying a trip to China for stem cell injections will free her
from her wheelchair and allow her to use a walker.
The 32-year-old paraplegic was inspired by her friend Cheryl Paget, who
recently came back from China with more mobility after the stem cell
treatment.
Paget, who broke her back falling from a horse, said the introduction of
millions of stem cells into her back -- a controversial surgery not
available in North America -- has improved her mobility and given her more
energy.
"I know Cheryl and when she came back showing feeling and movement I thought
she was so lucky, so I got the information from her," said Dennie.
Video of Deering sisters who are also in China for stem cell surgery
"I welcome any little bit of recovery."
In 2003, Dennie was a passenger in a car with her two small children when
the driver fell asleep and crashed the car into another vehicle.
While her children suffered minor injuries, Dennie broke her back, neck,
shoulder and pelvis.
Doctors told her she was a complete paraplegic, but three months after the
accident she was able to wiggle a toe.
"I felt if I could do that then what else can I do," said Dennie, who is
spending $20,000 for the treatments in China, with the help of insurance
money from the accident.
"I would mortgage my house to get more sensation."
Dennie leaves for China next week to receive the month-long treatments.
While other patients from Canada have travelled to China for stem cell
treatments for everything from Parkinson's disease to traumatic head
injuries, many Canadian doctors remain skeptical about the injections.