Contact:  Sean Tipton, 202.421.5112 or Carol Blymire, 301.332.8090

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, January 8, 2007; 11 a.m.

The following statement may be attributed to Sean Tipton, president,
Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR):

CAMR Offers Comment on Amniotic Stem Cell Findings

"Dr. Anthony Atala at Wake Forest University recently discussed his work in
drawing stem cells from amniotic fluid to produce human tissues.  While CAMR
supports all forms of regenerative research, we believe America needs a
federal policy for embryonic stem cell research that will allow the best
scientists to find better treatments and cures for the 100 million Americans
suffer from cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, diabetes, spinal cord injuries
and other debilitating diseases and disorders for which embryonic stem cell
research holds great promise.

"Policy decisions should be made not by reviewing just one study, but by
considering the bulk of replicated work, such as has been done in the
embryonic stem cell research field.  Time and again, we see improper use of
preliminary scientific findings being used and over-hyped for political
purposes.  We urge elected officials to be cautious and not rule out
protections and funding for any form of stem cell research here in the
United States in favor of another.

"Dr. George Daley, a Harvard University stem cell researcher, has said of
amniotic stem cells: 'While they are fascinating subjects of study in their
own right, they are not a substitute for human embryonic stem cells, which
allow scientists to address a host of other interesting questions in early
human development.'

"Nearly three-quarters of Americans across all political party lines and
religious affiliations support embryonic stem cell research and want federal
funding and oversight for this important research.  We look forward to
working with both chambers of Congress in the next few weeks to effect
change in the federal policy in this arena."

  #   #   #
The Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR) is the nation's
leading pro-cures coalition. CAMR is comprised of nationally recognized
patient organizations, universities, scientific societies, and foundations
advocating for the advancement of breakthrough research and technologies in
regenerative medicine -- including stem cell research and somatic cell
nuclear transfer -- to cure disease and alleviate suffering for individuals
with life-threatening illnesses and disorders.  Please go to
www.camradvocacy.org for more information.