From: Kaisernetwork.org
Jan. 10, 2007

White House To Release Report Highlighting Nonembryonic Stem Cell
Research Progress

   The White House Domestic Policy Council on Wednesday is scheduled
to release a report highlighting the progress and benefits of
nonembryonic stem cell research, including a study published in the
Jan. 7 online edition of the journal Nature Biotechnology that found
stem cells derived from human amniotic fluid appear to offer many of
the same benefits of embryonic stem cells, the Wall Street Journal
reports.

According to the Journal, White House officials confirmed that they
have been drafting a possible executive order related to the stem
cell research. White House spokesperson Tony Fratto declined to give
details about the content and potential timing of the order but
said, "[W]e are clearly working on ways we can direct whatever tools
and funding we can" for stem cell research that does not involve
harming human embryos.

According to the Journal, some stem cell research supporters said the
executive order would endorse federal funding for research of
nonembryonic stem cells and would not reverse restrictions President
Bush placed on federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research
in 2001 (Lueck, Wall Street Journal, 1/10). Federal funding for
embryonic stem cell research is allowed only for research using
embryonic stem cell lines created on or before Aug. 9, 2001, under a
policy announced by Bush on that date (Kaiser Daily Women's Health
Policy Report, 1/9).

Effect on Legislation

Some stem cell research supporters also said an executive order might
help the Bush administration respond to criticism of an expected veto
of a pending bill ( HR 3, S 5) that would expand federal funding for
embryonic stem cell research, the Journal reports (Wall Street
Journal, 1/10). The legislation -- called the Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act of 2007 -- is identical to a measure ( HR 810) Bush
vetoed in July 2006 that would have expanded stem cell lines that are
eligible for federal funding and allowed funding for research using
stem cells derived from embryos originally created for fertility
treatments and willingly donated by patients (Kaiser Daily Women's
Health Policy Report, 1/9).

"We are exploring all the alternative science that maybe will make
this question moot so we as a society do not have to deal with this
moral grudge match," Fratto said. Supporters of the legislation
have "dismissed the strategy as a distraction" and are "frustrated"
that opponents, including Bush, "have seized" on the amniotic stem
cell study "to bolster claims" that additional embryonic stem cell
research is unnecessary, the Journal reports (Wall Street Journal,
1/10).

Anthony Atala, senior author of the study and director of the Wake
Forest University Institute for Regenerative Medicine, on Tuesday in
a letter to Reps. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) and Michael Castle (D-
Del.), co-sponsors of the legislation, said that it is "essential
that NIH-funded researchers are able to fully pursue embryonic stem
cell research as a complement to research into other forms of stem
cells" (Mulkern, Denver Post, 1/10). Atala wrote, "Some may be
interpreting my research as a substitute for the need to pursue other
forms of regenerative medicine therapies, such as those involving
embryonic stem cells," adding, "I disagree with that assertion"
(Kellman, AP/Winston-Salem Journal, 1/9). Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) on
Tuesday said the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act lacks one vote in
the Senate before having a veto-proof majority, CongressDaily
reports. "We have 66 (votes) with Sen. [Tim] Johnson (D-S.D.),"
Harkin said. Johnson, who had suffered a brain hemorrhage and
underwent brain surgery last month, is expected to undergo several
months of recovery, CongressDaily reports. Senate Majority Leader
Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has scheduled the vote for February or March
(CongressDaily, 1/9). The House is scheduled to vote on the
legislation on Thursday (Denver Post, 1/10).

Vatican Welcomes Amniotic Stem Cell Study
The Roman Catholic Church on Tuesday applauded the study by Atala and
colleagues, calling it a breakthrough in medical research that could
help medical research without conflicting with the church's beliefs,
Reuters reports. Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan, head of the
Vatican's Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care, in an
interview with the Italian daily newspaper La Stampa on Monday, said
the study is "a very significant and ethically admissible advance."
In a Vatican Radio interview on Tuesday, Barragan said, "I am very
glad to see this progress in the field of science for the good of
humankind." He also said that the Vatican does not oppose all stem
cell research. "The [c]hurch is not obscurantist and is always ready
to welcome real scientific progress that neither threatens nor
manipulates the sources of life" (Reuters, 1/9).