1/11/2007 - The Parkinson's Action Network (PAN) on Thursday
applauded the House of Representatives for overwhelmingly passing
legislation to expand embryonic stem cell research.

The legislation, H.R. 3, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act,
passed by a bi-partisan vote of 253-174. The vote represents 15 more
yes votes than during the 109th Congress (H.R. 810).

PAN now turns to the Senate and asks that they pass S. 5, the Senate
version of the same bill.

“The stronger support we see in this vote from last year solidifies
what we already know: the majority of Americans are in favor of
expanding scientific research,” said Amy L. Comstock, CEO, PAN. “On
behalf of the Parkinson’s community, I would like to thank the House
members who voted for this critical legislation. I now urge our
Senators to pass S. 5 with great support.”

Prior to voting for HR 3, the House defeated a motion to recommit the
bill which would have placed severe restrictions on institutions
where somatic cell nuclear transfer research takes place. The motion
to recommit fell by a vote of 189-238.

The legislation would expand current policy to allow federal dollars
to be used for stem cell research on donated embryos from fertility
clinic patients. This legislation also specifies strict ethical
guidelines. The stem cells may only be derived from In Vitro
Fertilization (IVF)-created embryos that would otherwise be
discarded.

The current Administration policy states that federal funds may only
be used for research on embryonic stem cell cultures created prior to
August 9, 2001.

More than 120 million Americans suffer from chronic and life-
threatening diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, cancer,
heart disease, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, ALS,
osteoporosis and spinal cord injuries. Medical researchers have
discovered that many diseases and injuries could potentially be
treated or cured by new regenerative medicine therapies involving
stem cells.

The Senate is expected to take up S. 5 in the coming weeks.

See how your Members voted on HR 3 here:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll020.xml

Check out the final tally on the motion to recommit here:
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll019.xml