On 7-Jan-07, at 2:17 AM, M.Schild wrote:
>> I suspect that Zandopa might contain
>> other beneficial ingredients besides mucuna.
>

> Zandopa is often called H-200 and comes in gelule form.  Easier to
> use. If i
> remeber correctly, mucuna doesn´t need carbidopa but in the long
> term, side
> effetcs are the same as synthetic ldopa ( sinemet).
> John used it some years ago and found it helped with constipation
> Maryse cg JOhn 77,17

        In my research on "mucuna" I haven't found it anywhere, that taking
mucuna in the long term will have the same side effects as synthetic
(sinemet).
All I could find says otherwise.

Here's a couple of examples:

Example#1)   http://crisp.cit.nih.gov/crisp/CRISP_LIB.getdoc?
textkey=6870829&p_grant_num=1R21AT001607-01A1&p_query=&ticket=19936581&p
_audit_session_id=88437379&p_keywords=
        Aurveda is an indegenious medical practice of India. Recent
investigations indicate the Aurvedic medicinal compound Mucuna
pruriens is effective in improving Parkinsonism. Patients with
Parkinson's disease (PD) develop severe and often disabling side
effects after 3-5 years of medical therapy with currently available
medications used in modern medicine. Review of Aurvedic scriptures
and consultation with practitioners of Aurveda indicate that PD
patients treated with Aurvedic medications containing Mucuna pruriens
do not develop disabling side effects........

Example#2)
http://www.vedicspa.com/kaunch.html
Research Update
In a a randomised, controlled, double blind crossover trial published
on Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, the clinical
effects of levodopa L-dopa/carbidopa (LD/CD) are compared with two
different doses of mucuna preparation. Eight Parkinson's disease
patients were given with single doses of 200/50 mg LD/CD, or 15 and
30 g of mucuna preparation in randomised order. Compared with
standard LD/CD, the 30 g mucuna preparation led to a considerably
faster onset of effect (34.6 v 68.5 min; p = 0.021), Mean on time was
21.9% (37 min) longer, peak L-dopa plasma concentrations were 110%
higher and the area under the plasma concentration v time curve (area
under curve) was 165.3% larger (p = 0.012). The rapid onset of action
and longer on time without concomitant increase in dyskinesias on
mucuna seed powder formulation suggest that this natural source of L-
dopa might possess advantages over conventional L-dopa preparations
in the long term management of PD.
Despite the fact Mucuna was used in the treatment of Parkinson’s
disease in ancient times, it is still important today to establish
that the drug dose not have adverse effects on various vital organs.
This was accomplished by administering low to very high doses of the
drug in rats and rabbits and testing the effect of Mucuna on blood
chemistry and blood count (such as the one that many physicians
perform in their offices and the hospitals) and various organs. Some
of the tests were done for as long as one year and the results
indicated no adverse effects were present from Mucuna preparations.

To establish how Mucuna would compare to synthetic L-DOPA,
experiments were undertaken in animal models of Parkinson’s disease.
Two different doses of synthetic L-DOPA and two different doses of
Mucuna were administered making sure that the amount of L-DOPA
present is the same in Mucuna as was the doses of synthetic L-DOPA.
The effects of the drugs were tested using a specially designed
instrument called "Rotometer." Dose for dose, Mucuna was two to three
times more effective than equivalent amounts of synthetic L-DOPA.
This suggests that Mucuna may contain compounds that make L-DOPA
function better such as carbidopa, tolcapone (Tasmar), or entacapone
(COMTan). It may also suggest that Mucuna independently improve
symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Although quite encouraging, more
research is needed to confirm these findings. This work was done at
the time when the United States Congress established the Office of
Alternative Medicine in the National Institute of Health and the work
was one of the first to receive funding for alternative medicine.

Additional studies in India were undertaken to establish the benefit
of HP200 in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Four medical centers
were selected involving sixty patients and several neurologists. The
studies were conducted for three months. During that time, the
patients received HP200 while no concomitant L-DOPA preparations were
administered. Trained neurologists monitored changes in the degree of
patent’s symptoms and any side effects. At the end of the study, it
was determined that the HP200 was highly beneficial in the treatment
of Parkinson’s disease. The side effects were minimal. HP200 was
approved by the Indian Food and Drug Administration and is available
in India under the brand name Zandopa. Further, the cost of the drug
was much cheaper compared to the synthetic drugs; thus it became more
affordable to the patients. The United States Food and Drug
Administration approve the drug for clinical studies, however, it is
not available from the pharmacist.
Work on the Mucuna for Parkinson’s disease is being continued. The
importance of this particular study is not that Mucuna is an
alternative to L-DOPA, rather it is that compounds occurring
naturally in plants for example, may contain biologically active
components that can be isolated, tested, and used to provide safer
and better treatments for Parkinson’s disease.

Example #3)
http://www.parkinson.org/site/pp.asp?c=9dJFJLPwB&b=184301
[...]

Example #4)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15548480&query_hl=2

..........No significant differences in dyskinesias or tolerability
occurred. CONCLUSIONS: The rapid onset of action and longer on time
without concomitant increase in dyskinesias on mucuna seed powder
formulation suggest that this natural source of L-dopa might possess
advantages over conventional L-dopa preparations in the long term
management of PD.......

Example #5) Rat study (I don't approve of animal studies, but this
one is interesting)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15478206&query_hl=2

.......Mucuna pruriens cotyledon powder significantly increased the
brain mitochondrial complex-I activity but did not affect the total
monoamine oxidase activity (in vitro). Unlike synthetic levodopa
treatment, Mucuna pruriens cotyledon powder treatment significantly
restored the endogenous levodopa, dopamine, norepinephrine and
serotonin content in the substantia nigra. Nicotine adenine
dinucleotide (NADH) and coenzyme Q-10, that are shown to have a
therapeutic benefit in Parkinson's disease, were present in the
Mucuna pruriens cotyledon powder. Earlier studies showed that Mucuna
pruriens treatment controls the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. This
additional finding of a neurorestorative benefit by Mucuna pruriens
cotyledon powder on the degenerating dopaminergic neurons in the
substantia nigra may be due to increased complex-I activity and the
presence of NADH and coenzyme Q-10.........

I hope this info is helpful for anyone considering taking "Mucuna". I
haven't been taking it for long, less than two months, but I find it
very beneficial.

In regards to my taking Mucuna (Zandopa from India) 3 times a day
with sinemet.
In my last e-mail, I said that I was taking one level tbsp of Zandopa
with my sinemet. I made a mistake, sorry, I checked my measuring
spoon and it actually says: 1/2 tbsp or 7.5ml.
I take this amount with 1/3 (sinemet 200/50 CR) three times per day.
I would rather use plain sinemet but I don't have any right now. My
last prescription was for Sinemet CR. When I run out , I'll ask my
doctor for a new prescription of 100/25 sinemet. I'm still trying to
gradually reducing my sinemet and replacing it with Zandopa. I'm
hoping that I can stop taking sinemet all together. So far, I reduced
my intake of 4 sinemet 200/50 CR per day to only 1 sinemet 200/50 CR
per day with excellent results. I suspect that Zandopa might contain
other beneficial ingredients besides mucuna. I haven't been able to
find this out jet. For anyone just taking mucuna, the carbidopa
contained in sinemet, will actually help the mucuna cross the brain
barrier. I have no proof of this, just my own experiences. Ken Allan,
who grows his own mucuna, suspects the same thing. You can check out
his website at: http://home.cogeco.ca/~allan/   He has lots of great
information on PD & mucuna.  He's not taking Zandopa, but grows his
own, pretty remarkable. I found that raw mucuna (powder or capsules)
made me anxious. My source for mucuna was:  http://www.satveda.com/
product.asp?pID=160&cID=5&c=6045   Zandopa works much better for me,
lasts longer, don't get anxious, or any side effects. My source for
Zandopa is:    http://mall.coimbatore.com/bnh/zandu/zandopa.htm

Sincerely, Max