LANGEVIN INVITES MICHAEL J. FOX TO STATE OF THE UNION

WARWICK, R.I. - Congressman Jim Langevin (D-RI) today announced that he
has invited Michael J. Fox to the President's State of the Union
address. The State of the Union is scheduled for Tuesday, January 23, in
Washington, D.C.

"I have always tried to invite guests to the State of the Union that
will help raise greater awareness about important issues facing our
nation today," said Langevin. "In 2005, the late Dana Reeve attended as
my guest to highlight the importance of pushing embryonic stem cell
research forward. I am sure Michael will help to further Chris and
Dana's legacy and underscore for the President just how serious I am
about pursuing the promise of stem cell research."

Last week the Democratic leadership passed as part of their 100 Hours
legislative agenda H.R. 3 Degette-Castle-Langevin Stem Cell Research
Enhancement Act.

Since August 9, 2001, when the Bush Administration enacted restrictive
regulations that allow federal funding for research solely on those stem
cell lines derived prior to August 2001, Langevin has been an outspoken
advocate for expanding the federal government's role and involvement in
stem cell research.

"Congressman Langevin is a tireless champion for the advancement of
medical research, and I am honored to join him next week at the State of
the Union," said Michael J. Fox. "Jim has been a leader in the recent
passage of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. I have often said
diseases and disorders are a non-partisan issue that requires a
bi-partisan solution. Jim Langevin is part of that solution."

Under H.R. 3, only those excess embryonic stem cells derived from in
vitro fertilization and slated for destruction could be used for
research, with government oversight to ensure ethical research
procedures.

"This legislation has strong, bipartisan support in both chambers of
Congress.  It enjoys the support of up to 70 percent of Americans,"
continued Langevin. "There is no doubt in my mind that stem cell
research is poised to change the face of medicine."

H.R. 3 passed the House on January 11 by a vote of 253-174, and the
legislation will now move to the Senate.

-30-