dear peggy,

  i have been following levesque for some time now. i had a sham surgery in bombay, so i dont wish to have another one.
  the interview with levesque is very informative. do you have anything similar?

  douglas wayy
  d-1990

Peggy Willocks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Ray, Greg, and others:

It behooves me how something like GDNF or the autologous cells Levesque
implanted into Turner get turned around and become "examples of successful
stem cell research" using cells other than embryonic. The media just
reports what they are told,, which often is half truths - - anything for a
sensational story.

Ray - I and other members of the Parkinson Pipeline Project have been
following Cel-Med for some time. The history of this company's affiliation
with Parkinson's research is based on a media story back in 2003??? When Dr.
Michel Levesque announced the transplanting of autologous (one's own cells)
into the brain of a PWP with 90% improvement.

Here's what WAS out there on the company Levesque owned - Celmed
BioSciences, which has facilities in Montreal and Los Angeles, is a private
company spun off by Theratechnologies In addition to its Theralux(TM)(
oncology) program, the Company is evaluating adult neural stems cells for
the treatment of Parkinson's disease. (see
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/04-26
-2004/0002159836&EDATE= )

Now the rest of this story is speculation. Dr. Levesque had a conflict of
interest by being the Investigating physician in the autologous cell
transplant effort, in that he owned the company.. As our interview at
Grassroots Connection revealed, Levesque did some fancy steps and received a
$4 million upgrade for his lab. From GRC site:
"Dr. Lévesque: Since we did this first patient, there was a lot of
different advances and questions that were raised by several people at
different committees about the behavior of these cells and also the
conditions under which we are growing these cells (the FDA also has changed
its recommendation to that of GLP, meaning “good level III procedures”, but
also to achieve a state of good tissue practice), where the culture rooms
that are essentially small incubators, and where procedures are performed in
an even more sterile fashion than the operating room. If you can imagine a
neonatal unit with these “babies” placed in small incubators—the same thing
is done with these adult cells. We have little [laboratory] rooms with
specific markers and environment to maintain a constant condition of growth.
We are finishing with this, at a cost of $4 million, to achieve this type of
environment."
For full interview:
http://grassrootsconnection.com/levesque_transcript.htm

Bottom line, Cel-Med has changed management/owners - the autologous cell
transplant trial consisted of only one patient so placebo effect cannot be
ruled out - the one patient has turned for the worse - and now Levesque can
be found working with oncology (cancer) patients. Is it possible that
"money talks?"

Peggy